Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mount ntfs????

Hmmm,

I guess it goes back to my original post?

AFAIK it is safe to use FAT32 but you use *nix to write on NTFS AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND WITH NO RECOURSE?

I have a .308 Winchester........................it has no "experimental" warnings on it either .......open source stuff is usually covered by a general liability disclaimer anyway?....I would generally translate "experimental" as something like "alpha" or "beta" release????

I wonder if SCO realise the potential liabilities that come with trying to hijack open source?

If you are going to do this, my friend, I suggest you make sure that you have a nice mirror backup, or do it on something that doesn't matter I do not believe that the technology is quite developed enough?

It is your choice.................

Good luck

EDIT: I have looked at some of my kit and had some thought on how I might try to do it safely:

NTFS partition #1.....................Windows OS
    NTFS partition #2.....................Windows applications
    NTFS partition #3.....................Windows Data
    NTFS aprtition #4.....................Mirror of Windows Data
    Linux Partitions.........as required

I would then let the *nix share the "mirror" (NTFS#4) data file (NOT a RAID1 array, BTW.........just a copy)

Until you are happy that you have something stable that won't corrupt? In any case there is absolutely no need for the *nix to access the first two NTFS partitions?

Cheers

Looks like I started quite a decent thread, for a change
    Thanks guys , to be honest I think my best bet would be to re-biuld my MS box with FAT32, never did like NTFS anyway but then who does.... It was meant to be tighter security wise is it I never noticed Muhahaha
    -:s33ka:-
    Be pure, Be Clean,
    Behave....

Originally posted here by s33ka
    Looks like I started quite a decent thread, for a change
    Thanks guys , to be honest I think my best bet would be to re-biuld my MS box with FAT32, never did like NTFS anyway but then who does.... It was meant to be tighter security wise is it I never noticed Muhahaha

I wouldn't scoff at the security benefits to NTFS. Without NTFS there are no such thing as ownership rights and limitations on file access (whala Win95), along with all of the other security benefits such things provide, assuming the person doing the admin work uses them properly. I have also found NTFS to be a more stable and reliable FS than FAT32; however, you do of course have the problem of a limited number of OSs that read/write it properly. If you are strictly going to use it in a Win2k/XP/2k3 environment, I wouldn't use anything but NTFS....
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)