Thread: network programming OsX

network programming OsX

Hey everyone, I just bought a PB G4 its the coolest. I am getting started in network programming in C using gcc on my Mac.
    I am reading a classic textbook on net programming called: "Unix Network Programming: volume 1 the sockets API" by Richard Stevens. It contains numerous code examples, tested in different platforms including Mac OsX. You can download the code from unpbook.com. They use their own header files and things so you need to configure it for your system. This is where I am having problems. If anyone has been able to make the libraries and get it to work on mac Os X panther please tell me how. I have followed the exact steps, but when I get to the point of running a make command it gives me a few compiler errors.
    Unfortunately the book's site doesn't give any support.

Maybe this is not the place to ask this: How do I get an account in slashdot.org? I tried but they ask you to solve some kind of puzzle. This sucks! I felt stupid not being able to solve it. they're a good resource for mac/unix/linux stuff so I wanted to ask the above thing there.

thnx

juan

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It contains numerous code examples, tested in different platforms including Mac OsX.
    I've find that quite surprising since Richard Stevens died before OS X came out.

SlashDot Subscription Page.

And why not use the Apple Developers pages.

Thread moved to General Chit Chat since it's not about security really.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

In response to slashdot:

Puzzle?

Do you mean the verification thing where you have to type what you see in the picture?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Ms Mittens: The book I'm reading is the latest edition co-authored by other two guys, I didn't know Stevens was dead, he was the author of the first editon. It does contain examples in multiple platforms: mac, bsd, solaris, linux, hpux.
    I will try the apple dev network

About the slashdot thing, i do mean about what you should write what you see in the picture, i just don't get it!

c ya
    j

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    About the slashdot thing, i do mean about what you should write what you see in the picture, i just don't get it!
    Yup. Basically, whatever numbers and/or letters you see you input. (It's not really a puzzle) This is a new method of authentication to prove you are a human rather than a script or bot. It's being used in a variety of places including many forums and I know NetworkSolutions use it when you use their WhoIS feature.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Was I dumb or what! That slashdot thing said: to verify you are not a script.... I thought they meant scipt kiddie, thats why I thought it was a puzzle. Obviously they meant script, as in bot or somthng.