Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp Security Question

Uhh, no computer is hackproof. The only way to do that would be to unplug the computer entirely, lock it in a safe, and chip it off to sea.
    Yes i understand that. However, not everyone knows that

Hi Mex.

Yes i understand that. However, not everyone knows that
    It is your moral ($$$$) duty to make them aware of the fact?

As in: "And for a suitable fee, I would be glad to review your security arrangements on a quarterly basis to ensure that your defences remain state of the art sir"

$eriously, I would also recommend that you look into "business continuity" and "disaster recovery"? let's face it, there is no real point in having a system that is like Fort Knox if some jerk at the power supply company can kill it in a microsecond, or a fire trashes the lot?

So we are now looking at:

1. Backup sites (including ready prepared offices) & data backup/security
    2. Uninterruptable power supplies
    3. Business processes (how long can they survive without IT)
    4. Fire & flood protection
    5. Anti-terrorism (they may run out of C4 one day, or even have some left?)
    6. Industrial espionage (or the real thing in my experiences)

It is not an easy field to break into, so you need to be aware of these issues, as that is what will single you out in an interview?

I wish you luck, as you are at the start of your career when the end of mine is in sight

Cheers

Uhh, no computer is hackproof. The only way to do that would be to unplug the computer entirely, lock it in a safe, and chip it off to sea.
    Or I put a firewall on, block all ports, install software I trust, and stand beside my machine with a shotgun. Come on, I dare you to physically try to access it.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Mex.

It is your moral ($$$$) duty to make them aware of the fact?

As in: "And for a suitable fee, I would be glad to review your security arrangements on a quarterly basis to ensure that your defences remain state of the art sir"

$eriously, I would also recommend that you look into "business continuity" and "disaster recovery"? let's face it, there is no real point in having a system that is like Fort Knox if some jerk at the power supply company can kill it in a microsecond, or a fire trashes the lot?

So we are now looking at:

1. Backup sites (including ready prepared offices) & data backup/security
    2. Uninterruptable power supplies
    3. Business processes (how long can they survive without IT)
    4. Fire & flood protection
    5. Anti-terrorism (they may run out of C4 one day, or even have some left?)
    6. Industrial espionage (or the real thing in my experiences)

It is not an easy field to break into, so you need to be aware of these issues, as that is what will single you out in an interview?

I wish you luck, as you are at the start of your career when the end of mine is in sight

Cheers
    I also am aware of this and as time passes getting a job or starting a business becomes much harder. That is why i am not only going to study network security but am already starting some books on HTML, i have pretty good photoshoping/Macromedia MX studio skills and am going to start on java after html. I am also thinking about reading one of my C++ books and am looking for maybe 1 more field to study. If i can't find a decent job after all this study "I QUIT!" LOL! Right now i only know how to build/troubleshoot computers both on hardware and software and i know may way fairly around windows xp which is enough to fix my own problems and build/upgrade my computers without the need of a professional company.

I do have plenty of time before i have to worry about anything seeing im 16(junior in high school and 17 this year) but once im in college i won't have time for all of this as i will be studying other things (probably major in business) and screwing around...heh.

Thanks for the advice and replies i do appreciate it.

W4197

That is what is engraved on the breech block..............guess that makes it one of the first P.14s that the US shipped to the UK in WWI? (I think that Remington and Springfield were also in the act?.....mine is a Winchester )
    It was a commercial Mauser '98 action chambered for the British .303 round (My Mauser '98 was made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1908....beautiful engraving.....engine turned bolt..........)

Both have been converted to .308WIN (7.62x52 NATO) (no skiddies, that is NOT a new MS operating system for you to play with )

Pooh, will your shotgun reach out to 600 yards?...............OK when I was young, I could do 1200..............metallic sights, of course............otherwise, it is an L39A1, or an L96A1

I could get access old (deceased) chap!

Cheers

I do have plenty of time before i have to worry about anything seeing im 16(junior in high school and 17 this year) but once im in college i won't have time for all of this as i will be studying other things (probably major in business) and screwing around...heh.
    Keep in touch with this site.....even if you do not post, I am old enough to be your grandfather.....just but there are all age groups and interests here...

You have a good attitude for things as they are today..............excellent!

And I admire the fact that someone of you age is so mature in their outlook........"old head on young shoulders" is what we call that over here

I sincerely wish you the best of luck

Johnno

they basically have different in security like what i read from nihils msg, that XP, NT or for network based computer while 98,95 win are stand alone but OS that is build for networking must have a greater security than stand alon computer.. that y it's best to use unix or linux OS give a better security than windows <--- heheheh just my opinion ... but use windows for gaming porpuse ...

Sgear17

I take your point, you are now in the server area? OK I agree VMS, CICS (forgot it ) and those mainframe OSes are fireproof because punks do not have a 415 volt triple phase power supply, and the box is bigger than their bedroom............

Just my thoughts?

nihil, are you that old?

BTW, CICS is an application, not an OS. MVS is an OS.
    Isn't it 380 volt triple phase power supply? And why not having it has something to do with fireproof?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Originally posted here by nihil
    Sgear17

I take your point, you are now in the server area? OK I agree VMS, CICS (forgot it ) and those mainframe OSes are fireproof because punks do not have a 415 volt triple phase power supply, and the box is bigger than their bedroom............

Just my thoughts?
    Not quite true

IBM produced a standard PC version of their mainframe CPU which would fit on a PC PCI card.
    You could then install this on a normal PC, and it would behave as if it were a mainframe.

I've seen this working in the distant past, as we installed OS/390 on it, had 10 CICS users, and connected an old fashioned tape drive to it using the massive old channel cables, by using another specially designed card.