Hello, well im a newbie to Network/windows security and i would like to go into this field. I recently purchased a book by ankit fadia(i believe that was his name) and am progressing through it. Now there are two things id like to know and recieve help on if anyone would be so kind.

To get into windows 95/98 without a pass i know that you could just hit cancel or boot into dos by hitting f8 at boot and then type "ren *.pwl *.xyz" without the quotes if im not mistaking which will rename the password files and then anything you type into the password field becomes the default pass. With windows xp this is a lot diffrent. For one i can't get into dos just by hitting f8 and i don't know if that little command works with xp. I would like some info on this and possibly the names of a few websites/books other then this one (of course im going to be here quite a while ) and how do get into xp without the pass incase i forget it one day. I know you can get ERD commander but i know that somewhere someone knows a way to do it without that program. I appreciate any help that is given and thanks in advance.