Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not really about hardware...but close

Not really about hardware...but close

I desperatly need a new laptop. I have come down to three different options...
    1. Alienware Sentia $1,700-2,000
    2. Dell 1,000-1,200
    3. HP or Sony

Which is best for price and is Alienware really that good?

Banned
    Alienware, alienwareeee.

Pros • Stylish Design
    • Lots of Upgrade Options
    Cons • Expensive for Specifications
    • Poor Integrated Graphics
    • No CD Burner in Base Configuration
    alienware are mainly for games though.

http://compreviews.about.com/cs/lapt...lienSentia.htm

What I would do is think about what you are going to be doing with it such as playing games alot or just surfing the web sending e-mail and **** like that. once you have figured out what you are going to be alot of on the laptop then you can work from that and make a choice.

DeadAddict has it for me..............................what do you want to use it for?

We don't have Alienware over here, but I have seen one, and say that it was over-priced for what you get. You are paying for the badge IMHO

If you are travelling around making presentations and stuff I would not go for Dell......they have had serious compatibility problems in the past....and as far as I am concerned they have no future

What about Toshiba?

How long do you need it to run off mains power?

Will you want to use CD burning?

What laptop are you using at the moment? (specs please) and why do you "desperately need to replace it"

What percentage of use will be mobile as opposed to "at base"?

Have you considered laptop + desktop? laptop + docking station?

In other words, what are your functional requirements?

Cheers

I have a HP Pavilion, that I got as a Christmas present about 4 years ago. There is about 10% remaining on the HD, and it doesn't handle much of anything well(even has hard time opening word). Looking for something that will perform games, AutoCAD, Rendering,etc, at a resanoble price. I'm not a hardcore gamer either. I also think Alienware is overpriced but I heard it was extremly good. I am also pretty biased when it comes to computers. I don't like Toshiba or Compaq. I think I am going to go with a Sony VAIO for around 1300? Is this good for money/performance?

We don't have Alienware over here, but I have seen one, and say that it was over-priced for what you get. You are paying for the badge IMHO
    oh maaan... Nihil... you haven't looked have you.... we DO have Alienware in this country!!!

http://www.alienware.co.uk/

whilst alienware are good machine and whilst they do IMO have serious drool producing qualities they are on the pricey side for what you get - unless you have cash to burn or you just don't give a ***** I'd look at other options. In this case I'd go for the functionality rather than the looks (and after looking at alien wares site I know that is a hard decision )

just my 2p anyway

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

1. Alienware Sentia $1,700-2,000 = Eye Candy. The l33t H2x0rs at your next LAN party will drool over your laptop.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I think that's what I'm going for...

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    1. Alienware Sentia $1,700-2,000 = Eye Candy. The l33t H2x0rs at your next LAN party will drool over your laptop.
    coolbean......."I think that's what I'm going for..."
    Well now, that does tell us something
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Alienware is way too expensive in my opinion. From what I heard, Alienware used to buy laptops from Sager ( http://pctorque.com/ is a good Sager site ) and paint them and sell with another $1,000 added to the price.

How much performance do you want? And battery life? For the same price as that Sentia, you can get a faster, more powerful, but hotter and more power consuming Sager. I haven't seen very many people with Sagers, but from what I've heard people are satisfied with them. But I have also seen some people enjoying their Dells, and although Dell had problems a six months ago or so, I think the issues have been fixed, but from what I've heard the support and repair stinks and is dirt cheap, so if you do have issues with a Dell, you are screwed. But otherwise Dell isn't bad.

But Sager are said to just rock. Especially if you think Alienware is good.

Edit: From the looks of things, Alienware still paints Sager PCs...