Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ID Theft and Crystal Meth

ID Theft and Crystal Meth

High Speed Crime
    Police See Growing Link Between ID Theft, Crystal Meth Use

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/US/Bu..._040324-1.html

"There definitely is a link between meth use and identity theft, at least in what we see," said Salem Police Chief Walt Myers, who was recently appointed by Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski to direct statewide efforts to fight crystal meth use.

Myers is not alone. Police up and down the West Coast, from Olympia, Wash., to San Diego are making the connection, as "crank" has increased its hold on communities.

A Matter of Time

Officials at the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency and statewide agencies in other parts of the country said they have not noticed the connection that's being seen on the West Coast, but police in Washington, Oregon and California say they will.

"If some other states aren't seeing it yet, it's because they're not looking for it," said Lt. Brad Watkins of the Thurston County, Wash., Sheriff's Office. "They will."

Use of the drug skyrocketed through the late 1990s, and while it seems to have leveled off in many places, it does not seem to be declining. In Washington, for example, the number of labs seized soared from 69 in 1996 to 1,310 in 2002, according to DEA figures. In Tennessee, the number went from two in 1996 to 555 in 2002. Authorities in Indiana found just 10 labs in 1996 but busted 871 in 2002.

In the same period there appears to have been a rise in the incidence of fraud and identity theft. In 2003, the Federal Trade Commission received 214,905 reports of identity theft and 301,835 of fraud, up from 86,212 ID theft and 134,131 fraud complaints in 2001. Estimated losses to consumers from these crimes last year totaled $400 million, according to FTC figures.

One recent raid turned up a more sophisticated operation being run by meth users, Mosler said. Police found a computer with identity information from 45 different people that was being used to create driver's licenses that could then be used to get credit cards

We talk to ID thieves. They know they're going to get caught, but all they care about is feeding their arm," he said. "These aren't stupid people: these are addicted people. Tomorrow be damned, they want to feed their addiction today."

The "high" that the drug creates is particularly conducive to identity theft, too, some police say. The effects last up to 12 hours and users become extremely detail-oriented — several police referred to them as "tweakers." They also don't mind the filth they face "dumpster diving" for discarded documents.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

12 hours hell! ive seen people go on 'runs' for three days before they finally crash being obsesive/compulsive about anything and everything they're doing.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Most meth users live out in rural areas, where they most likely dont own a computer or are to poor to afford one.

I bet crack, heroin and amphetamine users do the same thing; i wouldnt limit it down to just meth users.

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by mikem0327
    Most meth users live out in rural areas, where they most likely dont own a computer or are to poor to afford one.
    WTF are you talking about??? As a resident of a VERY rural area I can tell you that your statement is not only IDIOTIC, but extremely NARROW-MINDED as well. Rural does not = poor, nor does it = the lack of intelligence that your post seems to indicate. Hell...just about everyone I know owns AT LEAST one computer, REGARDLESS of their income level. Get off your f-ing high horse, *******.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I live out in a rural area, and out of the 6'000 people in a town 10 miles south of me, and the 400 in a town 8 miles north of me. Out of those 6400 people about 1600 of them are meth addicts.
    =

Old Fart
    chey....you'll notice I didn't dispute the part about meth being a rural problem.....it's awful in my neck of the woods (so is Oxycontin abuse for that matter). What pissed me off was the reference to we rural folks as being poor and technologically deficient. I can put together or take apart a computer with my eyes shut, I make better than 35 bucks an hour at my regular job and have made as much as 2500 bucks an hour (very rare circumstances) on the side. If thats dumb and poor I'd hate to see what it takes to be considered halfway smart and middle-classed.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

OMG....thats 1/4 or 25% of the people living in that area is addicted? That is an incredably high percentage of addicts.
    It would then follow that 30% or so of them were also dealing so they could support their own habits. No bloody wonder that there are so many drug busts on rural roads then.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

no no, I understand allen.

However in my neck of the woods most people make around $12000-18000 a year. There are a few that pull in more than 30 a year, but mostly everyone down here is your typical redneck. Not saying rednecks are poor old farts that sit on a swing all day with a shotgun and tobacoo, but most of them down here are pretty limited to what they have and can do. hell 4 miles down my road, someone went to jail for killing a family. lol

Anyone wanna come live with me? lol
    =

all the meth monsters ive ever known were either inner city or rich bitch suburb kids but ive never lived out side of one (city). many colleege students use it to cram for exams and can be much more allert and sharp while taking tests (allot of good high marks do you in the slammer) after the tests they go home, sort their shopping bags by manufacturer and size then go on line.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm not surprised this news article featured a specific event in Oregon. There are tons of meth addicts here, and every month you'll see a few meth lab busts on the local news. It's sad really, why can't they stick to less dangerous and non addictive drugs like marijuana?

Banned
    Rural does not = poor, nor does it = the lack of intelligence that your post seems to indicate.
    Your right it does not.. if you own a ranch or a good amount of land. Now if you live in a rural neighborhood it most likely does. I have stopped by many rural towns (i live in Texas) going to other cities and the abundance of ignorant people is far behind your imagination.

Now that may not be true in your rural town but it certainly is in most towns in Texas, which is a state most people associate with rednecks.

It's sad really, why can't they stick to less dangerous and non addictive drugs like marijuana?
    I wish they would, but they probably won't considering most rural meth users think grass is for hippies and college students.
    They should stick to alcohol since their town probably isnt heavily populated.
    I also wish were i live(city of the most drunk driving accidents in the USA)they would stick to marijuana(if they already aren't users) because its sad when about 1/3 persons driving after 9:00PM is drunk.