Thread: Exp. Comp Suggestions

Exp. Comp Suggestions

hey guys, my pops just bought a new comp and he said that i get the old one. what are some suggestions for things that i should put in it? all i know is that it has a P2 processor and an intell 810 integrated graphics card. tell me some stuff that i can get for cheap or free.

I couldn't tell you what to put in it, that depends on what you want to use it for and what kind of budget you are under. However, when you do find some component you want, try using the advice here to get it cheap. I also recommend www.tigerdirect.com for cheap computer parts, although their selection is not that great, and www.compusa.com has rebates on all sorts of things, with new deals every week, so I'd watch them. Be sure to follow all saftey precautions when installing new parts in your box, such as grounding yourself before futsing around!

I don't care for tiger direct. I've had bad experiences with them. I prefer http://tcwo.com or http://pcprogress.com

As far as a getting some preformane out of the PII, I would suggest some RAM.

You'll have to see what model # your board is and then see what kind and how much it accepts.
    =

Ah use it as a Firewall, install a nice clean copy of Debian.
    It costs nothing, you just gotta download it from the linux distro site, and then burn it to a blank CD.
    If yah have any problems installing it then shoot me a Pm i'd be more then happy to give yah a hand..

cheers
    .:front2back:.

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    As far as a getting some preformane out of the PII, I would suggest some RAM.
    my dad said that the ram can't be increased anymore. its at 256.

Banned
    do u believe ur dad ? why dont u check...

Banned
    no one line posts, and u post one letter posts. omg...delete it....

i don't know if it can. its an e-machine tower. can it be upgraded or is that the highest it can go? i think my pops is lying so i don't say "lets upgrade it so it can run faster!". he's really cheap.

If the RAM is EDO, it will probably have a maximum of 256Mb (4 x 64Mb, 72 pin). Slightly later PIIs I have encountered will take 3 x 128 Mb Simms to give you a max of 384Mb. I have seen MoBos that will support both EDO and SIMMS (only one sort at the same time) The SIMMS slots would take 2 x 128Mb, which gives you the same 256 max, but SIMMS memory is faster than EDO.

You should be able to get a PCI graphics card (I doubt if it has an AGP slot), and I bet the HDD is pretty slow if it is the original. You should be able to pick up a small 7200RPM for very little these days.

What OS is it running?

Cheers