Thread: PCI/IRQ Problem

Question PCI/IRQ Problem

I have a very wierd problem. I took a server with W2k server that is no longer being used and replaced the OS with W2k Pro. When I did, installation of the new OS halted because my BIOS was not "ACPI" compliant, so sayeth the blue screen.

After wasting money on a new BIOS, I finally discovered that my problem was with one of my devices, not the BIOS itself so it seemed. So after unplugging and replugging every single device, I finally discovered it was my NICs that were causing the error, as evidently, according to the error code, there are no entries for the two present NICs in the IRQ table.

So, I got rid of both NICs and tried another one altogether. Same problem. Repeated in each of my three PCI slots with each of my three NICs. Same blue screen.

So what's going on? Are my PCI slots just blown? What can I do? I've never messed with BIOS or IRQ tables before, so this is quite beyond me.

May sound weird, but try a differnt memory stick (ram)
    =

I would first check that you have all the relevent PCI slots/IRQ's enabled in your BIOS especially as you have just flashed your BIOS. Then disable anything you are not using such as serial ports/parallel ports and PCI slots you are not using, this will all free up IRQ's.

If you go into your Sytem Information ( Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system Information) then click on the plus sign next to Hardware Resorses and click on IRQ's this will display all the IRQ's on your system and what they are allocated too.

Have a look and see if any have been allocated to your PCI slots or they may even mention the name/make of your NIC's. If any are unasigned/disabled go back into your BIOS and assign them to the relevent PCI slots if they dont have one assigned to them already.

As to changing your RAM I dont think it will have any affect on your problem. I think it lies within your BIOS unless there is any obvious sign of damage on the actual PCI slots.

Hope it helps!

yeah I wouldn't of thought that either nokia but I was reading some google results and some peoople got the problem to go away by switching their ram around.
    =

the PCI slots are not identified in the IRQ folder (of course the slots are empty since once I put a NIC in, I'll be trapped at the blue screen).

So, how do I get into BIOS and change settings so that the PCI slots are assigned?

Nevermind the last post, I got into BIOS.

My PCI/VGA Palette Setup was disabled, so I enabled it hoping that would fix it. Nope, same blue screen.

Then, I set "Resources Controlled By" to manual, then looked at the IRQ Resources, which shows that IRQ-3,-4,-5,-7,-9,-10,-11,-12,-14, and -15 are all assigned to PCI devices. Still getting the blue screen.

So am I on the wrong track? What else can I do? Surely there's a fix, because under 2000 Adv. Server everything was working just fine.

Something is wrong there as there is no need to have 10 IRQ's assigned to your PCI devices.
    When you go into your system information does it give the same IRQ configuration as your BIOS does?

Most of them IRQ's should be assigned to other things so for example if IRQ 3 is assisgned to your Primary IDE Channel in your system information but in your BIOS it is saying that it is assigned to a PCI device, then there is a conflict in your IRQ allotment somewhere and you will have to manualy re-assign them.
    You say you wasted money on a new BIOS, does this mean you flashed it yourself or sent it away to be flashed.
    Also when you installed the O/S were the NICs already installed?

Here's what is shown for IRQ in System Information:

9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
    9 AC'97 Driver for Intel(r) 82801AA Controller
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    13 Numeric data processor
    6 Standard floppy disk controller
    4 Communications port (COM1)
    3 Communications port (COM2)
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    14 Primary IDE Channel
    15 Secondary IDE Channel
    5 Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus Controller

The BIOS of course is shown in my previous post.

I flashed the BIOS myself, but with tech support walking me through it. The NICs were indeed already installed when the new OS was installed. In fact, they had been working just fine mere days ago under the previous OS -- it wasn't until installation of the new one that this began.

By the way, let me be more specific about how I found the 10 IRQ assignments in my earlier post, for clarity's sake just in case, because I'm not confident I'm going into the right part of BIOS anyway. Here's what I'm doing:

1) DEL at startup
    2) PnP/PCI Configuration
    3) Changed "Resources Controlled By" to [Manual].
    4) Pressed "Enter" on "IRQ Resources"
    5) The 10 IRQ assignments were then displayed.

That's the only place I have yet found that shows the IRQ assignments, so I figured that had to be the right place. AFter it didn't work, I reset "Resources Controlled By" to the default setting of [Auto(ESCD)] so I wouldn't screw things up any worse than they already were.

Lastly one of the NICs is an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter.

Ok, go into your system info again only this time look under memory instead of IRQ's and see if a memory address has been assigned to your PCI bus, it may have two or more entries.

Also look under Conflicts/Sharing and see what is sharing IRQ's/Memory with your PCI bus.

You could also disable any ports you dont use such as Com1, Com2, serial port, paralell port etc. Explore you BIOS and see what you can do.

I think the problem is most certainly with your BIOS and not the install of a new O/S.
    I would have said that maybe you didnt flash it properly or that you didnt use the correct upgrade but you said you done it with the aid of tech support so it was prob done correctly.

But it may be worth double checking that the file you used to flash it with was the correct one and check the site for anyother downloads which may help, such as 4 in 1 drivers.

If you only have 3 PCI slots there shouldnt really be 10 irq's for you to assign.
    I presume you wont have a mother board manual, but if you have flashed the BIOS i presume you know the make and model of it?
    Type this into google and see if you can find a manual for it online.
    If you find one see what IRQ's are assigned to you PCI slots by default( i think mine are 7,9, 11 and 18) this will corrospond to the order of your PCI slots i.e IRQ 7 will be the top one, 9 the second one etc.

If you have nothing installed in a PCI slot it is a good idea to disable the relevent IRQ for it as this will free up system resorces.

If you get this far, go into your BIOS and disable all the IRQ's except the IRQ for your PCI slot that you have the NIC in( put it in the bottom one if possibile) now save and exit your BIOS.

Next start your system up and remove any drivers for the NIC,s that you have installed and re install the one for the NIC you are using. If it prompts for a restart dont do it, turn your machine off manually.

Now install the NIC into the correct PCI slot and restart your system.

Hopefully this may solve the problem. Let me know how you get on!

Well I finally resolved the problem. I had to bypass ACPI detection during Windows setup (I believe by pressing F7 where it asks for third party drivers, if memory servers correct). After that, Windows installed and started up with no blue screen in sight.

Afterwards, I looked up the NIC I wanted to use and downloaded the drivers. So, FINALLY, everything's working!

Thanks for all the help!