Thread: social security

social security

Social Security is the most popular government program. However, most people know little or nothing about how it operates. The following discussion explains what Social Security is, how it operates, and why there is such an intense debate about its future.
    http://www.heritage.org/Research/Soc...rity/wm143.cfm

Does it need reform, or is it just politics?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Politics. It has worked fine for years and will continue to work fine unless someone else has a New New Deal... ^_^

-Cheers-

It's nice to see some actual information versus some policical crap flung at voters for the sake of and nothing more than getting people pissed enough to vote one way or another.

The facts that cannot be ignored and what does cause concern - is people are just simply living longer. Instead of taking 10 years of Social Seurity they are taking 20 or even 30 and every couple of years that national life expectancy has been getting longer. Not much you can argue about those facts.

The problem is, touching that issue is ALWAYS political suicide. Look at the fallout from the present administration just because the "mentioned" there could be a problem in the reaching future.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

One other fact t olook at guys...people are haveing less kids. If we didn't have the current southamerican and south asian immagration wave we would be in the same boat as europ more people retiering then entering the work force.....right now immagration is the only thing keeping the ponzi scam that is social security afloot.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

It's not politics, although it is used as a political tool during campaigns. The problem is real and I don't see one god damn solution towards it so far. Once the baby boomers retire, we're done. I actually went to kerry's website and there I found a forum. LOL...stupid me, I posted a valid question as to how the guy is planning to address the issue, and as a return I wound up getting banned...I went to the Bush campaign's website as well, but he's a little bit smarter...no discussion boards there. I wonder why

Social Security is a big load of bullcrap. The money you put in S.S. is less than you get back. It would be a better option if Americans put the same amount of money into a fund that gets interest, and see their money grow.

that would be a very bad idea...most people are not smart enough t onot invest in the next enon or world comm...and we are now seeing that with all the cruption in the mutual funds they are not safe either...if all of our retierment was based on the market a large number of people would be broke come retierment age putting an undue burden on the next generation
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Some have done just that, for instance in Colorado we have PERA (Public Emplyee Retirement Account) you have to be a government employee but once enrolled you contribute to that instead of Social Security. There is some risk as bballad pointed but the fund is large enough to sustain economic fallout and it's very conservative in investments. You can also use parts to invest allot like a 401k. There are risks with a private kind of institutuon but there are also risk that the government will drain their own fund.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.