Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own forum :)

Elite Hacker

My own forum :)

Howdy,
    I've been working on a forum in php for a while now. I think i finally got it somewhat functional. I just wanted to get the opinion of some of the people from here about it. I know it's nothing compared to all the free ones such as phpbb, but I made it myself and I like it . I was thinking it would be good for people who would like forum type software, but no extras, just as simple as it gets.
    Here is my site: http://67.11.206.247
    Some of you may cringe when you look at it, but it used to be a lot worse. Please give me any positive or negative feedback or suggestions. Thank you

edit
    I almost forgot, if anyone tries to register, a lot of places don't except email from my smtp server. So, you can either post here with your username saying you didn't get your email, and I will manually verify it, or if you're not very excited about joining my site, just don't worry about it. I usually go through every once in a while and delete the unverified accounts.

edit2
    didn't want to make a new post for this but you are verified now nihil and I'll work on the colors. peace

Puce (purple) = puke.................do something about it!

Maybe a nice lime green (being a limey I would say that )

Otherwise, It does not like my e-mail

Cheers

Not bad, I've been thinking about writing my own forum system but I never seem to have the time. punBB is good though if you want a minimalist system without having to write it from scratch.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

nice one! could be used as a guestbook too.
    i am no expert..but my bg color suggestion will be.[i do have a little knowledge in color psychology]
    #e9e9e9
    #E9EFF5
    light/pastel colors would avoid eyestrains/fatigue and headaches. very safe to add graphics too.
    blue is good one if its either in light or soft tone. blue [soft] is a good "marketing" color. microsoft uses it as their prime color.

Banned
    verify me, verify meeeeeee

Elite Hacker
    Darnit, I should just take out email verification and have it auto verify. Everyone in there as of 5 minutes ago is verified. I changed the colors a little, and the banner. The banner is messed up cause when i save as .jpg it makes little swirls where diff colors meet. Oh well, at least it's not plain. Thanks for the feedback. Also, I can zip up the code if anyone wants it, but it's not pretty, lol. I've been paranoid at backing it up, I do it almost everyday to multiple computers. Don't want to lose all that work. Also, since I posted this I added a feature to see all the posts by each user, which you can get either though the links in the member list or by clicking their post count in their posts. And i fixed a couple of bugs on the registration page that I was pm'd about. Thanks guys for messing with it, every little bit helps me.

Banned
    omg u already have more meber than my forum at www.introonline.com/forums

AntiOnline n00b
    The color is much -much better now, i suggest you try a few more background colors. The navigation could be improved , you cauld place the controls on top, rather than bottom(or you can place them on both ends)

lol i was viewing the members list and was looking for the back button the page................ i scrolled up and down but found no back button on the page....................... and guess what i met a member named back who took me back lol. i really thought he was a member.............

I ithink just after logging in the user should be directly Fourm list.. and these three options
    • view forum one
    • view members
    • logout

Should be on each page either on top as a navigation menu or on right hand side. As i said what i found laking on your site is proper navigation system.....

Just my thought

--Good Luck---

Elite Hacker

that's funny. I think today after school I'm gonna make it to where the user can specify what color the background, table background, cell background and text background are. I will store the values in the db to be grabbed and applied. As for the back link, I probably should separate it into another table, and I think that's a good idea to have a set navigation on every page at the top right or something. I was trying to setup the userdefined color thing last night, but for some reason my computer just didn't want to find and replace things. I think it had something to do with quotes being in what I was trying to find and replace. Thanks for the suggestions, and I know it's kinda overdone to put two banners, but two people made me banners and I like them both. I'll work on some things, hopefully within the next couple of days I'll have the navigation done and have it to where the user can define colors. Maybe I'll transfer the files to windows, to the find and replace, then transfer them back. we'll see. Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I hope to have a lot more features soon.

edit
    Well, the forum is going through some major reconstruction look wise. May not look major, but the code seems to be . Should still function no matter how ackward it looks. I'm having a little problem. When I make the div tags, I have to give them really odd values to get them in the positions I want, and when I put something after a div tag that has been moved up a lot, it pretends like it was not moved up and leaves a big space where it would be. Anyone know a way to fix that? All I can think of now is to just use div tags everywhere, but that doesn't sound like a very good solution. I'll probably just switch to tables and make them invisible . In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

edit2
    /me is stupid
    that's what I get for looking at and using other people's code. I had position:relative in my div tag, I needed absolute I guess. I've never used them though. I learned something at least. Seems to be coming along now.
    Thanks again everyone for your input and keep it coming.

Elite Hacker
    I did a lot of work today. Wore myself out. I'm sure with all the stuff I added there's bound to be many new bugs. If you find any please pm me or post on here or my board about them. Thank you.