Thread: Slackware 9.1 and xmms 1.2.x

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Slackware 9.1 and xmms 1.2.x

I've been trying to troubleshoot a weird intermittent problem with xmms. First, an establishment so as to avoid any assumptions:

1. I know sound works. I've had it where xmms doesn't respond but I can get sound quite nicely from CD.

2. I've used xmms before (usually immediately after reboot).

3. The problem doesn't seem to follow a specific pattern but seems to appear after a few days/weeks of being up.

The Problem: I decide to listen to some streaming audio from a Shoutcast station and while I can see the traffic coming to my machine, xmms doesn't "issue" it forth. It's like nothing is happening. I know it's not a sound specific issue and I have upgraded to the latest release thinking this might solve the problem but unfortunately it hasn't.

Has any other "slackers" run into this?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I've no experience of slack, but a question or two may help..

When xmms fails, have you used another package that may have been using the audio device and isn't releasing it nicely?

When you play the CD are you using xmms to play it, or another package?

HTH
    Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

When xmms fails, have you used another package that may have been using the audio device and isn't releasing it nicely?
    Nope. No other package.

When you play the CD are you using xmms to play it, or another package?
    Nope. Use the KDcd player. I'll try XMMS next time to see if it's entirely a glitch of some type or something interfering..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Well, tried again today and found "static" coming out of the stream so I tried playing the CD and that works fine. Maybe it's a shoutcast issue? Anyone know of any other good streaming sites (non-WMP/non-QT player)?

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    When you reboot are you getting another IP addy? - Wonder if the site has got something that only allows so many connections?

Also a reboot may clear any IDS/Reaction system (like portsentry) that's using iptables - So you begin by making a connection & then decide you don't want to listen any more and the site continues to stream packets, which trip the IDS...

Just clutching at straws.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

- I don't reboot. So the address is the same. I don't think it's a question of # of connections.

- I don't have any IDS/Reaction/Firewall in place.. (I know.. bad).