Thread: Blocking kazaa on a home netowrk

Blocking kazaa on a home netowrk

hello there,
    my first post in a while and i have a question about blocking kazaa...

what i have at my house is a server using ICS for the 'net and 3 computers running XP pro behind the server, we all connect to the server through a hub on an ethernet card. The server connects to the net through a dialup modem (dynamic IP).

What i'd like to know is can kazaa be blocked from getting through to the net at all?
    i've tried various rules on my firewall to try and achieve this with no result, ive tried blocking udp ports, tcp ports and stuff like that with no success

Is there a way to maybe runa proxy on the server and block kazaa traffic that way?

Also, linux is currently not an option as i recently made a real mess of what used to be my linux box when trying to upgrade my firewall, so i now rnu win2k on the server instead

any software needed needs to be free too, as im a uni student on a bit of a budget

if anyone can help me it would be much appreicated
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

I suggest using group policy to not allow Kazaa to run at all----it can check the hash so that an exe name change would still not let it run-- good luck!

"Usually" Kazaa runs on port 1214. Try blocking it.

mrleachy: You're a linux dude... right? If so, check out the following link.
    That should do the trick for you.

Just reread your post... see you're using m$.
    Maybe setup a cheap linux box to act as your router/firewall? Not too hard...

If not, then create custom firewall rules to block it.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=255614

I suggest using group policy to not allow Kazaa to run at all----it can check the hash so that an exe name change would still not let it run-- good luck!
    Thats a good idea, but you'd have to find every hash for every version out there.
    That can be a bit of a pain... if if the user knew what they were doing... then they could modify the program a little bit (one char of a string) and create a new hash.

You have your boxes locked down so normal users can't install programs?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    MsMittens does a little dance

I figured out how to save suicidial threads! w00t!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    MsMittens does a little dance

I figured out how to save suicidial threads! w00t!
    Good. Its a shame that a troll can ruin a perfectly good thread. I deleted my post too.

That guy was a complete jerk.

Thanks MsM!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Id recommend as phishphreek80 said to set up a box to work as a firewall/ router. look at coyote linux its simple to use and runs on a 486 which can be had for a few quid (my last 486 cost me £3). Then it would just be a matter of iptables.

I really dunno whether this would work, but could you not create a c program, that closes the port, using the winsock standard close port, put this in a loop that continually loops.

just an idea, im sceptical whether that would work

i2c