Thread: Migrating from Windows to Linux

Migrating from Windows to Linux

Saw this over at Toms Hardware and though some of you Linux noobs might want to see this..

Migrating from Windows to Linux
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/index.html

Its a good starting guide for people who want to migrate from Windows to Linux, but are not sure how.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It is a great article. However, I have just helped two individuals switch from MS to Lindows to Lindows Developers Edition to Debian to Gentoo in the matter of Six Months. I would say try Lindows if you really want to be walked through the transistion stage.

Noooooooooo anything but Lindows. It's the Windows of Linux haha.

Anyone that is just starting out that really wants a nice walk through and easy running. They can try RH they are great at making things easy. Half the time I swear I am on a Windows Box.

Another really really good book is Running Linux published by Orielly. I mean that book is just awesome. I would sell my little brother for that book if I didn't have it.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    Noooooooooo anything but Lindows. It's the Windows of Linux haha.
    I don't see why everyone bashes Lindows without trying it. I understand it is not the OS for everyone, I myself need a variety of OS's each specific to a certain process I need to perform, but for a clueless Noob "Lindows" is the way to go, and it will keep you learning until you are ready to dive into another distro. To be honest, I still use Lindows and I have been able to customize it as well as many of the other distros I use.