Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Determining a computer's OS?

I dont know that much , but chances are youre running windows.....like most of everyone on the web...and if they're just a "script kiddie', chances are theyre running windows too ;-)

am by sending file over iaim other user can get your ip address through dos command line typing netstat may display your ip during transfer of file or sendaing data maybe that y he got yoour ip and scan your computer, or using ftp they can look for your ip address and the OS hope this info help a little bit

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I think he's referring to this website

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

ydobon -
    I know exactly what you are talking about with the "message board thingies". The link that Ms. Mittens provided has the same type of message board (only with a different character) that I've seen used by an AntiOnline user when they are posting to a thread here. I tried to find one of their posts . . . but since I was looking for one . . . I couldn't find one to save my life (Murphy's law).

I've often wondered myself how this is accomplished. Maybe someone will actually answer your question . . . or provide a link for reference . . . then we'll both know. Good luck in your quest!

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    These links might provide some insight into the how. The 2nd one shows how they created their "own" variation.

http://ivu.irvineunderground.org/vie...&view=previous

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/Y...num=1078956145
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I thought there was a way to find out what OS you are running? Well when you go to a web site that requires you to be running a OS like windows, can't you tell that person go there and that will be one way to find out. But also if you need to load any Java or script on a computer don't the web site need to know what OS you are running? I know this is off the subject but I just think there got to be a way to find out!

He could've probably sent him to a website which logged his OS, or somehow, got his IP and found out his TTL. or as was later mentioned a trojan could've been installed.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!