Thread: Notse

Notse

Hi all

Came across this article from macclesfield-express ( a local british paper). Thought you may be interested. Also anyone know where i can download the Notse software ?

thanks

-------

Press Release Source: Notse
    Notse See Runaway success in Its Two Weeks
    Tuesday March 30, 1:00 pm ET
    Undergraduate Students Take on The Telecoms Big Boys
    Manchester, March 30 /PRNewswire/ --Some 12 Days after the Final Beta launch of the worlds first “browser-enabled web phone” which is an add-on to Web-Browsers such as Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Alexa’s Opera that allows users to make phone calls either PC-PC or PC-Real Phone number.

The software named Notse and developed by students Esi Aboni and Micheal Beevor currently studying at Manchester Univertsity in the UK. Notse allows phone calls to be made over either a broadband or dial-up connection. The service consists of a directory of contacts that become a permanent part of a user's internet browser, and a graphical telephone that can be used with a headset and microphone or a USB-based telephone unit.

Having Released the Final Beta release of Notse via several University Message board in the UK. The Company today has announced the registration of its 300,000 user.

“Yesterday saw an accident in a British Telecoms tunnel in Manchester which cut off phone lines for an estimated 160,000 homes and business’s in this region of England, One of the benefits of our current release is that it works on Microsoft Windows Enabled PDA and Laptops aswell as PC’s. With people having no option other than expensive mobile phone call charges , they’ve opted to download our program which enables free phone calls PC-PC aswell as PC-Phone number. In a way this accidental fire taking peoples phones out of service has brought some attention to Notse and with landlines being out of action for another 5 days atleast ,we expect a major increase in usage figures. Best of all, calls within the UK are free.”

About Notse
    Notse is a proprietary software developed at the University of Manchester, UK over several months by Current undergraduates Esi Aboni and Micheal Beevor. Using proprietary software designed from the ground up to allow VoIP calling.
    Features
    Ø Alternate Call
    Ø Conferencing , (3-way, blind, announce)
    Ø Call forwarding (busy, no answer, unconditional, conditional)
    Ø Call transfer (blind, announce)
    Ø Call back
    Ø Call hold/retrieve
    Ø Call pickup
    Ø Deflect alerting Call
    Ø CTI Call Control
    Ø Encrypted Calling
    Ø Manymore
    For further information, please contact: Esi Aboni, Notse +44 (7769668594), Esi1@Nikeno.Com,

Having Released the Final Beta release of Notse via several University Message board in the UK
    well that should give you a clue

For further information, please contact: Esi Aboni, Notse +44 (7769668594), Esi1@Nikeno.Com
    and so should that - I'm going to drop the guy a mail though so I'll let you know

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Sounds like something pretty promising.

If you find out anything let me know.

cheers

I'll send them an e-mail as soon as I get home from school to check it out on broadband over break. Is the technology over VOIP or is it something different?

The idea of PC-PC calls (especially encrypted ones) and PC-Real Phone calls I absolutely adore. Is there an option in the software to do a video chat with someone, let alone one that is encrypted as well? That would be something I'd like to see as well. Perhaps I'm not searching enough.

-Xenolithic
    Vice President of Practices
    RIT\'s Security Practices and Research Student Association
    http://www.sparsa.org

I got a reply after emailing the guys at Notse.

The only bad bit is that it offers PC-Real Telephone Calls for free in UK only. Then again i guess its only a beta. It looks promising . Good interface and easy to use. Plus it fits just like part of the browser.

No used any of the other true voIP services (skype and the other PC-PC services arent voIP so they don't count ) so i can't make a true review of it yet . but ill make a review in two days or so.

mooret... lucky you - I've not heard a dicky bird from them yet. Are you still at Uni by the way - just wondering if that might be why you got a reply (I've already done my time).

Z

Yep, im at Uni but i just emailed them straight from my isp email account. And the got in touch. It could cuz their Uni students themselves so that could be why its taking a while for them to contact you.

Yep, im at Uni but i just emailed them straight from my isp email account. And the got in touch. It could cuz their Uni students themselves so that could be why its taking a while for them to contact you.
    yep I emailed them from one of my ISP accounts too.... as for them being at uni - bloody students spend far too much of my hard earned tax drinking and enjoying themselves instead of working - bastards <said with tongue firmly in cheek cos I used to do the same and I'm jealous of any student these days - I liked being a full time student>

Z