Thread: old books

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Question old books

My library is currently selling some of their books that thay have no need of I guess or just depriving us of knowledge for the money. And now and then I look and they have computer books for sale. $0.25 a pop! I already picked some up like pc-dos, qbasic etc ,books I know I can still use. They have books like from 80 etc, I even found one from the 70's. But my question is how old is a book about programming, networking etc, to old to learn from?

IMO, A book is never too "old" to learn from.

Will the info be of any use to you? Will it teach you history or something you can aqpply today?
    You get to see how it was done then, and then compare it to how it is done now.

I have books from the 70s and 80s too. My library has these types of sales too.

Its pretty neat to look through them.

Plus... when you're done with them. Put them up on ebay. Or, hold on to them for a while and then put in a time capsule or something.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    When what they are talking about doesn't exist anymore.

Heck, I've bought some old C books because they were authored by Ritchie himself. Sometimes the simplicity of older technology can be good. I'm personally still looking for all the old books on Kevin Mitnick's exploits.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    umm..I'll tell you when I find Mitnicks stuff, msmittens lol
    Good thought, Thinking the same just wanted to see your guys thoughts!

Never think that old knowledge is useless,
    You never know when people will be needed to fix something that was built by past generations such as the cobol skills needed to fix Y2k a few years ago
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I still have my BASIC programming manual for to two working Tandy 100's I have. (A laptop that runs on 4 AA batts.)

You never can tell when one of those ancient technological items is going to bite. If you have the room to store stuff, you should keep it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot