Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server room cooling

Server room cooling

I admin a small business network with a poorly cooled server room. Currently I must leave the door open to use the A/C from the rest of the office. I really would like to be able to close and lock the door. But are there any feasible options for cooling this room short of installing a complete air conditioning system. I know there are small portable A/C's from APC. Does anyone have experience with these?
    [glowpurple]I\'d tell you about my paranoia but I think someone else is listening.[/glowpurple]

OK here we go:

. Currently I must leave the door open to use the A/C from the rest of the office. I really would like to be able to close and lock the door
    Go to you nearest pet store and purchase a "cat flap" cat door?.............install it down the bottom and use a deadlock.................problem solved

What kit are you running?

What is the ambient temperature in the room?

Go to you nearest pet store and purchase a "cat flap" cat door?.............
    I've been trying to train Toonces on server maintainance but he's a little slow.

I've got 4 Intel SR2300 servers w/ Dual Xeon chips and RPS on each. Got 2 SmartUPS 3000XL, HP ProCurve 4108 w/ 4 10/100 24 port mods and 1 8-port Gb mod, Quantum SuperLoader, small router, all in a rack mount. I also have an old PII Novell box. Our phone system is in the same room and produces some heat.

My biggest prob is on weekends they shut the A/C down in the building. During the summer it gets probably over 85 in the office. Even pulling air from outside is gonna leave my servers in some elevated temps. But forking over 10,000 clams for a dedicated A/C unit is a bit steep.
    [glowpurple]I\'d tell you about my paranoia but I think someone else is listening.[/glowpurple]

Originally posted here by PacSec
    But forking over 10,000 clams for a dedicated A/C unit is a bit steep.
    I guess what you have to ask yourself, and the people that control the money in your shop is, how much would it cost the company if you baked one or more of those devices?

If the risk is great than the cost, then the answer is a no-brainer

Cheers:
    DjM

I've been trying to train Toonces on server maintainance but he's a little slow.

I've got 4 Intel SR2300 servers w/ Dual Xeon chips and RPS on each. Got 2 SmartUPS 3000XL, HP ProCurve 4108 w/ 4 10/100 24 port mods and 1 8-port Gb mod, Quantum SuperLoader, small router, all in a rack mount. I also have an old PII Novell box. Our phone system is in the same room and produces some heat.

My biggest prob is on weekends they shut the A/C down in the building. During the summer it gets probably over 85 in the office. Even pulling air from outside is gonna leave my servers in some elevated temps. But forking over 10,000 clams for a dedicated A/C unit is a bit steep.
    I know where you are coming from... I work in a small business and the "bean counters" are trying to get the AC shut totally off on the weekends. I basically told them that they could not do this because they would end up frying all the servers processors. Its an ongoing fight. (I just make sure all my data is backed up before the weekend) If you do get one of those units, I would be interested in how well they work.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

If the risk is great than the cost, then the answer is a no-brainer
    I wish it was that simple. That's the ole logic vs. tight pocket book battle. Somehow those in charge of the money see actual cost much better than potential cost.

I wish it was that simple. That's the ole logic vs. tight pocket book battle. Somehow those in charge of the money see actual cost much better than potential cost.
    Well, now what you have to ask yourself is, if the company is not going to be supportive of your efforts to secure & protect their systems, maybe it's time to take your talents elsewhere.

Cheers:
    DjM

Are you offering me a job?

Are you offering me a job?
    I wouldn't want to insult you by having to pay you in Canadian funds.

Cheers:
    DjM

Hey PacSec,

I was actually serious about the pet door...............I run a cable from the safety supply socket in the garage through our cat flap to vacuum the car and mow the lawn............... with the North East winds we get it is the only logical solution...........they are strong and VERY cold!!!.........OK you won't have the additional problem of dead leaves and discarded candy wrappers like I do........but using the flap solves that as well.

The "deadlock" is one that is key only operated.............no latch at the back, so long arms and coat hangers don't work.............it is secure.

OK, now for your main problem.............the beancounters...................you say that you get up to 85 in the summer, I assume that you are talking F not C. I realise that your kit generates a certain amount of heat, but it should be able to run at about 120F (50C) without much problem.

It needs to remain powered up? so I guess you might consider installing some extra exhaust fans if the racks are in cases, or fans blowing across an open rack system?

Does the room have any windows (the glass sort ) and ventilation grilles................I am kind of thinking of an outrageous suggestion that would obey the laws of physics and beancounters?.............hell that has to be worth a consultancy fee

Cheers

OH, my Tigger says he would like to help, but he has only been taught how to write malware