Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Norton Personal Firewall

Trying out Norton Personal Firewall

Well I decided to give norton a try to see how their Personal Firewall performs. So far i'm quite satisfied. It was very easy to set it up (great for beginners) and it is doing its job. It has blocked about 20 attacks on my computer since yesterday and it comes with a build in /whois and IP tracer which seems quite accurate. What surprised me the most though was not the firewall...but this:

Details: Trojan attempt detected from address 63.187.232.5 by rule "Default Block Backdoor/SubSeven Trojan horse".
    Blocked further access for 30 minutes.

I see my firewall flashing a warning sign...and I'm wondering "WTF?!?". ROFL someone actually tried to send me a subseven...When are kids going to learn? I called up the sysadmin...but she wasn't available (Answering machine picked up)..didn't wanna bother the poor woman too much...she prolly has other crap to take care of other than my silly subseven complaint. Mostly I wanted to see if anything would get done...i've never called one of them up to complain before...i just wanted to know if someone gives a **** out there. Anyone with a personal experience please share

I'd actually recommend this firewall...seems pretty decent. I used ZA and wasnt too happy with it...I guess it was too complicated for my lazy brain to figure out how to set up the rules...and to tell it which programs to allow ahead of time. Now that I think about it...I was probably too lazy to check out the Help feature LOL

Cheers

Please share your opinions and experiences about Norton's Personal Firewall. I guess using it with Nortons SystemWorks makes a pretty good duo

Thats all I use is Norton Firewall.

It gives me the customization that I want, and has a good rule set for attacks.

It also has pretty decent logs as well.
    =

The logs are very well presented compared to a few other firewalls i've tried out...easy to understand even for a basic user. Cheyenne....are u the one trying to send me a subseven?????LOL ...i had someone trying to break into my computer from Rio De Janeiro...or prolly routing from there

The subseven attack came from washington...and had a quite a few attemps from cambridge...which is 10 minutes away from my house. Probably some skiddies doing a scan around the network (they were using same ISP as me)

Attempted Intrusion "URL_Directory_Traversal" from your machine against 65.93.89.250 was detected and blocked
    Intruder: localhost(4118)
    Risk Level: High

Attempted Intrusion "BAT_Execution_Via_HTTP" from your machine against 65.93.89.250 was detected and blocked
    Intruder: localhost(4115)
    Risk Level: Medium
    Protocol: TCP
    Attacked IP: 65.93.89.250
    Attacked Port: http(80)

Intrusion: Invalid Destination IP Address
    Intruder: 208.180.47.89
    Risk Level: Low
    Source IP address: 208.180.47.89
    Destination IP address: 0.0.0.69. This IP address is invalid.
    Protocol: TCP.
    Part of my logs lol

and yes I know thats my IP, but its dynamic. lol
    =

so pretty much your computer hates you and wants to kill itself?

I had one problem with Norton products, price.
    just that. seriously.

Symantec's Norton™ Personal Firewall 2004 keeps hackers out and personal data in. It makes robust firewall protection easy by automatically hiding your PC on the Internet and blocking suspicious connections. Norton Personal Firewall also protects your privacy by preventing confidential information from being sent out without your knowledge.

• NEW! A Web assistant lets you block ads and access other program options from Microsoft® Internet Explorer.

• NEW! Network Detector lets you define firewall settings for different networks, then automatically switches to the proper settings for the network you're using.

• NEW! Includes product activation procedure to ensure authenticity.

• LiveUpdate™ automatically checks for new protection updates when you're online.**

for $50 I think its worth it. Another down side for norton is that it uses a ton of resources at times...and its outoscan has a mind of its own sometimes...and it doesnt mind that you're in the middle of a Counter-strike scrimm.

I see my firewall flashing a warning sign...and I'm wondering "WTF?!?". ROFL someone actually tried to send me a subseven...
    They didn't try to send it to you.
    They were just scanning for machines that have sub7 installed.

I use NIS too. Its pretty good. I use it as a backup. (cisco as my boarder router/firewall)
    I like the features of it and how it is all integrated. I really like it mostly for virus protection and program control. I don't see many intrusion attempts... because they are all blocked at the boarder router/firewall. Any of the attempts that are in my logs were caused by me.

coolfuse: I agree with ya. I wish they were a bit cheaper.

cheyenne1212: was that you I saw on the Wolf ET "south bunker" server the other day?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

No I still have yet to play ET phish, but we still have a CS server up @ 69.93.94.74:27015

And in a few days, I will have a Battlefiedl 1942: Desert COmbat sever up.
    =

well i have been using ZA pro and it has done a pretty good job i think.........lol but not sure what settings to use. i had something try to get in it said something like a netbios what was that??????????? but it blocked it