Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lil help with data recovery :(

Lil help with data recovery :(

Well i recently got a virus (how i do not know all i know is that my firewall had a low setting when i did and i ended up getting bad results) and ended up having to reformat my hard drive. Now i remember a friend saying that when a hard drive erases data it isn't actually taking it off the drive but simply putting a coat of grayscale or something like that on the hard disk. I have a couple things that were extreamly important to me and i didn't get a chance to back up so if there is any way to do data recovery after the reformat (i don't care what i have to do ill do anything to it) can someone please give me some help. I am pretty sure there is a way as my friend(who unfortunitly i lost contact with) said the only way to destroy whats on your hd is to put a sledge hammer/shot gun to it so if anyone knows i would be greatly indebted to them for their help if it is given. Thanks.

when you re-formatted, did you do a quick format or a full format?

quick formats can be undone quickly by programs like un-delete, but for a full format you would need some serious (not REALLY serious, but a little serious) software.

Make sure you do not install any programs or save anything. You might overwrite the file you need. If the file is worth money, there are always data recovery services... but they are expensive

Also, are you sure you don't have any backups of these "important files"
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

yes as annihilator_god said "Make sure you do not install any programs or save anything. You might overwrite the file you need". There are many File Recovery Software availabe Download one of then And They will list oyu all the recoverable deleted files and to what extent you can recover them; because some of your files might have already overitten .

Read this thread Recovering deleted files from XP it provides pretty useful info on the topic an bunch of file recovery softwares

--Good Luck--

that program isnt working for some reason with this hard drive.....i think that my hd might be locked up as in too much security but i don't know how do disable it....i know when i take it out and try to get into documents and settings with another comp it wont let me and i already disabled the pass to my user acc....any ideas?

I also used a diffrent program before that one to find the files and it found them but the thing is that it wouldn't let me copy untill i paid 75 bucks for it. Help

To be totally honest, I don't think Data Recovery is suitable for a non-technical individual. There are many methods to recovering data, but it is not as easy as a click and run program.

I do know my way fairly around xp.....i just need some instructions.....i have pretty good knowledge about computers hell i build em lol its just that this hasn't ever happend to me before so i don't know how to do it. Think about it if i knew how to do it i wouldn't be posting here.

All i need to know is how to completly unlock my hd so that i could access all of it's files from a diff computer when i run it as a slave drive. Then if there are any other programs i show know about incase this one doesnt work.

Anyone?

Originally posted here by Mexikanpmp
    (i don't care what i have to do ill do anything to it)
    Originally posted here by Mexikanpmp
    I also used a diffrent program before that one to find the files and it found them but the thing is that it wouldn't let me copy untill i paid 75 bucks for it.
    Cough up the 75 bucks and support the programmer that wrote it!

Cheers:
    DjM

how about "restoration" ?
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

It'll run off of a floppy.. just two dll's and the executable needed.
    (dll's not needed for NT/2000/xp)
    Also has a "secure" delete function.

Run's on Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP..
    FAT12/FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
    Compressed files of NTFS are supported.
    However, encrypted files of NTFS are not supported so far.
    ==========================================
    If not that, F.I.R.E. bootable Linux distro http://www.distrowatch.com
    it has a tool that can recover deleted files even if the drives been repartitioned

Originally posted here by DjM
    Cough up the 75 bucks and support the programmer that wrote it!

Cheers:
    To be honest its been ages since ive purchased any software because kmart and MIRC and Kazaa have been good to me. Also even if i did actually purchase software the files aren't worth 75 bucks for a one time use then again they are definitly worth a "do it yourself" try which is why im trying to find out about it here.