Thread: IP change ??

Question IP change ??

Hello,

I've some doubts of IP addresses.

Where are the our IP addresses stored(I mean is it in our service provider's server ?). Is there any way we can change our ip after we have logged in. ??
    What is the significance of our IP address.
    I use a dialup connection.
    One thing I've noted is that the first part of my ip address always remains the same.
    (ie. For example,
    If my ip address is 44.23.22.200.
    Every time I login my ip addrress is 44.23.22.*** )
    Why is the beggining part always the same ??

Something more..
    What do u mean by adapter address, Subnet Mask.??

Thanx.
    - SCORPION

Basically your IP address will be on your machine and the ISP server's so that they can talk to eachother?

No, if you want to change your addy you have to reconnect.

Your ISP has a "block" of addresses.............rather like banks have blocks of sort codes...........the first numbers identify the ISP, the later ones identify your connection at that point in time.

Subnets are the middle bits of the code..........your ISP has numerous servers, sites, and addresses to hand out.............these are divided into subnets.

Hope that helps, no doubt an expert will fill you in with the technical stuff.

Cheers

Just Another Geek

Re: IP change ??

Originally posted here by mightysuraj
    Where are the our IP addresses stored(I mean is it in our service provider's server ?).
    You are on a dialup connection so yes it's stored at your ISP (simple explanation).
    For a more clear understanding I suggest you look into the DHCP protocol.

Is there any way we can change our ip after we have logged in. ??
    Yes you can change it after you logon. But I'm sure you won't stay connected or are able to use that address.

It's like your telephonenumber. It tells were you or a website can be reached.

One thing I've noted is that the first part of my ip address always remains the same.
    (ie. For example,
    That's because your ISP has reserved a block of ipaddresses for dialup users. Every dialup user gets 1 address out of this pool. It's a fist come, first serve principle.

Every networkconnection (so to speak) is done by an adapter. You use a dialup adapter to make a connection to the Internet. I use a network adapter. The adapter address is the ip address assigned to that adapter. Every adapter must have it's own address.

A subnetmask is to denote how big the pool (see above) of addresses is. To be able to reach addresses outside of this pool you'll need to contact the default gateway.

This is all part of the wonderful world of TCP/IP.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

[edit: ahhh, nobodied posted when I hit the reply button!! - SirDice is great though.]

First of all, with respect to all your courteous questions of late, you can find most all of this on google, but I'll help anyways. This is pretty simple once you understand it, so it shouldn't take much.

Internet addresses (IP addresses) are things that are bought and reserved by various companies. Your service provider probably bought and reserved all or some of the ip addresses starting wih 44.23.22. That is why you always use that first few numbers. Your service provider is letting you rent one of their reserved numbers. Like paying and reserving a seat at an ongoing broadway show, then renting it to somone.

You do have to use the IP address your service provider assigns you each time. If you change it, your service will probably get messed up. In reality, the acctualy IP is stored both at your service provider, and on your computer, but you probably can't change your assigned IP without disrupting service.

By adapter address, you probably mean MAC address(this woudn't apply to you, since you use a modem) It may mean your modem itself as seen by your operating system. Something like ppp1. Look both of these up on google. There are many clear explanations.

Same with subnet mask. Though if nothing you find on google clears this up for you, post again and I'll explain it.

Remember, while we do enjoy helping, it's expected that you do a quick search on google before taking advantage of help here.

- Good day. kudos for wanting to learn.

Jon.

damn,you mean i can't change my ip using free proxy servers any more(lol)
    hee, hee,

I was trying to keep it simple Sometimes some of the answers that people are given are way too complex, particularly for their probable level of understanding English (technical English, that is)

Suraj, old chap, please do not be confused by this.................you have an IP address, whilst you might hide this from a site that you visit, your ISP will know what it is, or they would not be able to send you any reply?

Think of a "proxy" as a PO Box or deposit box in the bank............it is just a box, but the post office or bank know who owns it?

Cheers

To put it anouther way:
    Your IP address is like your physical house address. So you would consider 68.42.56.01 as country.state.town.yourhouse. By using a proxy you are then having all your 'mail' sent from your house to another re-mail address that then forwards it to where it is suppose to go. Then when they get an answer they forward it back to you at your original house.
    After you are established at one address then if you were to change that address, no one would be able to send you anything back. Each time you log on (with a dynamic IP) you establish yourself at an address that your provider gives you and that allows you to communicate with other addresses. Adding a proxy then provides that whom ever you are communicating to sees only the address of the proxy service and not your address. It provides for a false sense of privacy since the proxy service knows your actual address.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hi mightysuraj,

You said that you have a dial-up connection( home user). So think of it in terms of connecting to the internet only when you need to. You are creating a closed circuit with your ISP at that moment, much like a phone call (hint). You also may have noticed that after a certain period of inactivity, your dial-up modem will disconnect. Your ISP is effectively saying, "Use it, or loose it."
    If your ISP where to assign you a permanent IP address, that address is not in use when you are not connected, so it would be idle, or basically waisted during that time. Remember, in your situation, most of the data traffic is generated by you in form of 'get' requests directed to a specific web-site and once the page has downloaded, your connection is idle again. Data traffic like that is of a "bursty" nature.
    With a limited amount of IP addresses to go around, ISP's assign IP addresses from a pool of addresses on a temporary basis. Once you are done with a given session, that IP address is returned to the pool, for someone else to use. If you have a DSL connection, the IP address may not change as frequently. The whole process is often referred to as "leasing" an IP address.
    You can have a permanent IP address assigned to you, but it will cost you more. Businesses are usually inclined to have 'Static IP addresses', often because of services they provide to the public such as a web-site or e-commerce. They could not function well if their IP addresses changed frequently.

g8way2u

Re: IP change ??

Where are the our IP addresses stored(I mean is it in our service provider's server ?). Is there any way we can change our ip after we have logged in. ??
    I use a dialup connection.
    (ie. For example,

IP addresses are stored at IANA (www.iana.org). Each company purchases a block of IP addresses.
    IP Addresses is in the form of AAA.AAA.BBB.CCC
    AAA.AAA is the IP Address of the company that owns the IP Address. First set of AAA is the global list which is which place in the world are you located. The second set of AAA is the company.
    BBB is the router in which the computer is connected.
    CCC is the number that is assigned to the computer that you are using

So, 44.23 is the company that sold you or gave you the IP address. 22 is the router that the company you got the IP from. If you have Dial-up or Dynamic IP address, your IP last digit will change. This is the number assigned to you while you are using their services. In this case, everytime you dial-up a new IP address will show. For all Dynamic and Dial-up services, a group of IP addresses are stored to assign as computers log in. first come first serve. The first IP assigned to the first computeer logged in until all numbers in the group are used up. Once that happens, you will not be allowed to use the sevices and it will say busy.

A way to change your IP addresses after login is through a router. You assign the a static IP to the router and the computers on the other end can have any IPs you want even 1.1.1.1 if you want.

This does not seem to be appropriate to answer all the definitions for you. You will need to read or take classes.
    adapter Address is also known as MAC address. It is a number assigned to all components of the computer from RAM chip to printers. Everything has a MAC address it is in HEXADECIMAL form.
    Subnet Mask are used to create more IP addresses per location. You need to learn about the Subnet calculations.
    Info
    And the Truth shall set you Free. Free In Deed.