4 44.44%
  • no defiately not

1 11.11%
  • sure its awsome

3 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should prisoners have the right to vote

Should prisoners have the right to vote

After reading the thread by OverdueSpy "Prison guards forbidden to wear protective gear" I took a quick google on the one of the central issuses that being the right of people serving prison terms to vote. I found an interesting article about the debate that is going on in England about this.
    prison right to vote

I was suprised to find that in Ireland they had the right.
    The second article i found deals with the right tovote in the United States. As I am not American and dont know much about the vote system i will leave it to any Americans out there to confirm or deny the piece.
    Allowed to vote in the states
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Another article pointing to the desire to toss out the Electoral College.

I would be willing to look at the issue of felony voters who are no longer incarcerated and who committed minimal crimes, but the rest of the article lacks a little common sense. If we were a single country not comprised of individual semi autonomous states and weighing in at the size of a continent and supporting a gigantic population of around 250 million or so, I might have a different view.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I would say that prisoners currently in prison should not be able to vote. After they are released, I would say that it should depend on the crime they commited.

Umm if you have commeited a crime you have forfited you standard civil rights, now they are replaced by prisioners rights but the right to vote is not one of those....nor should they be included.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by TheRepublican
    I would say that prisoners currently in prison should not be able to vote. After they are released, I would say that it should depend on the crime they commited.
    I basicly agree wit hthis statement, but once they are released they have paid there debt t osociety and supposedly rehabilitated, they should get all of their rights back regardless of their crime.

Hmmm, I am inclining to agree. Debt has been paid, they are citizens again. Perhaps the reasoning was that those incarcerated would always vote against the system that incarcerated them versus a reliable vote on issues? I would have to dig up some case law if it ever becomes a real initiative. Persons that go on paying for their crimes are victims I think, like black lists etc.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I am against the idea of prisoners voting. One of the criteria to vote is to be a responsible member of society. If you have committed a crime IMO you don’t really fall in to this group. The question that is causing all the debate is whether the right to vote is a civic right, a civic duty or does it come under human rights.
    I suppose if you are going to give them the vote the German or French models would be the better way to go. I can see it now : criminal X you have been found guilty of arson, murder, rape, thief and general nastiness. I condemn you to thirty years imprisonment and ……… I REVOKE your right to vote! Ha that would teach him.
    Then again I wonder how many prisoners would actually vote?
    Anyone any comments about the second article? The way I read it is: you may be over 18 or 21, a citizen and not in prison but it doesn’t mean you are allowed to vote.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

My guess is a lot of prisioners would vote.....and we would see the rapid dismanteling of your criminal justace system......remember those prision gangs could be very effective at getting people motivated to vote their way.

I don't think prisoners should be allowed to vote - it's part of their punishment to be restricted of liberty and that includes voting. Of course, when they come out, they should be allowed to vote just like anyone else.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

An individual retains their right to vote after they get out of prision unless the offense was a Federal offense.

The term 'Federal offense' is generally used in reference to acts that have been made criminal by federal law. Most Federal crimes are defined in Title 18 of the United States Code, though other Code Titles also include specific crimes. Such crimes (racketeering offenses, tax evasion, interstate kidnapping, murder, witness tampering, etc.) are prosecuted in Federal courts. As you can see these crimes are very serious and thus the reason why Federal criminals are never allowed to vote. BBallad is correct, that if Federal criminals were allowed to vote our justice system would become even more screwed up than it is now.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!