Thread: best type of ram?

best type of ram?

whats the best type of ram out there? i thought ddr was good but my friend swears that "rd ram" is the best. the only kinds i've heard of are sd, ddr, and rd. i cant seem to find an actual comparison on google where they arent trying to sell something and that means its probably biased, so anybody here got some input for me plz?

Well,

sd = "single data rate"
    dd = "double data rate"

I won't go into upcycles and downcycles and transistors and stuff...............you eyes would glaze over and you would want to go to the bathroom

DDR is about twice the speed of SDR, as SDR is bordering on obsolete now, DDR is by far the better value for money, as it is only slightly more expensive, if that?.

RDR is "Rambus" memory.........the brand name/patent of a specific organisation............its is better than DDR in tests that I have performed, but it is expensive..............too expensive IMHO. I seem to recall some sort of "unholy alliance" between Rambus and Intel when the first P4s came out?......they seem to have fallen out with eachother since.

When I bought my first P4, it would have cost $1800 to put 1Gb of RDR memory in it............I later picked up 512Mb for around $120..............DDR had come out, and AMD were caning Intel

At the moment DDR is the choice, just watch the capabilities of the MoBo..........you can probably get 3Gb of the slower stuff on it, but only 512Mb of the fastest

Cheers

$120 for rdr? i just checked it out on bestbut.com and compusa.com and 512 of rdr goes for about $300. where did you buy it?

Banned
    I still say DDR2 is better than any listed above

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1977

XMS2: Xtreme Performance DDR2 Memory

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms2.html

Phonedog,

At my local computer store.................it was all they had............I guess I got it at cost or less, I doubt if they would have sold it, and as I was a $10,000 a year customer.................

MemorY is technically correct, but I am waiting for the MoBos to really support it properly. AND the price to get reasonable!!!

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    I won't go into upcycles and downcycles and transistors and stuff...............you eyes would glaze over and you would want to go to the bathroom
    But Nihil i want my eyes to glaze over, then have to run to the Bathroom .
    Nah but seriously could you maybe give some stats on the upcycles and downcycles please
    I'm interested in all this because i will be doing a massive upgrage to my network in the next couple of weeks.

cheers
    .:front2back:.

AO French Antique News Whore
    DDR is the best for ratio performance/prices now! But hurry up, the prices of DRR is raising VERY fast since 2 weeks!! Buy now before the prices get high!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Indeed the DDRAM price is raising very fast, I have seen so far a 10 to 20% increase.
    I would not suggest to buy RD RAM, cause it's more expensive. However not so long ago it was far superior to DDR with even 300% better performance. However today DDR runs faster with PC3200 and more becoming standard. For gaming and stuff, you need to go for DDR. RD is more something for the more expensive server and workstation market and even those are going to DDRAM instead of RDRAM

ya buddy i know its a lot of trouble with that RAM stuff. But as "VictorKaum" DDR is better
    coz its cheaper than RD and also u can buy more MBs of DDR RAM then that of RD RAM