Thread: Why the Automatic change of typed URL after pressing 'GO'

Why the Automatic change of typed URL after pressing 'GO'

I am currently using Internet Explorer and thus am having a little problem.

Does any one know why window changes the URL that is typed after you press 'GO'

example: typed URL: hxxp://usernameass@members.anysite.com/
    Changes to new URL: hxxp://members.anysite.com/

Better yet, if you know why this happens, does anyone know how to stop it from happening.

It was suggested that I make a reg file which stated the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE]
    "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000
    "explorer.exe"=dword:00000000

But that did not seem to work.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

http://username:password@server/resource.ext

You can use this URL syntax to automatically send user information to a Web site that supports the basic authentication method.

Now have a close look at your URL The The First username before the ":" is considered as well UserName . And I am Gussing the smily was a mistake in your URL Password This part after ":" is considered a Password for site "http://server/resource.ext" in your case http://members.anysite.com/.

It only happens in Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1 and Internet Explorer in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 . Earlier versond used to display it as it is "http://username:password@server/resource.ext"

A malicious user might use this URL syntax to create a hyperlink that appears to open a legitimate Web site but actually opens aspoofed Web site. So you should be carefull.... with it . here is a good articel on it at microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=833786

--Good Luck--

Re: Why the Automatic change of typed URL after pressing 'GO'

Originally posted here by Arken
    I am currently using Internet Explorer and thus am having a little problem.

Does any one know why window changes the URL that is typed after you press 'GO'

example: typed URL: hxxp://usernameass@members.anysite.com/
    Changes to new URL: hxxp://members.anysite.com/

Better yet, if you know why this happens, does anyone know how to stop it from happening.

It was suggested that I make a reg file which stated the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE]
    "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000
    "explorer.exe"=dword:00000000

But that did not seem to work.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

editing the registry wouldnt be of a help in here, try reading some article about how sites are resolved, for this case try reading about the DNS and how it works.

one of the reason for the changes is the site that you are visiting may have some instructions or rules on their zone file or dns that if in case a person will type www.black.com will be pointed to www.blackjack.com.

or let me say...user type in a url on the browser, your isp's dns will then try to resolve the host name, if not successfull it will try to query the regional ISP/DNS if still not successful it will try to query from the root server wich definitely have all the dns record of internet servers. such action will provide you a link to the correct webserver etc. in resolving host name DNS and zone files are queried to bring you to the right server. DNS resolves the host name, zone files provide the internet road map on where to find the servers and where to point. or sets the instruction to point to the right server if a user typed a diff website or host name.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the replies heatwave and SwordFish_13 . I know the reason that IE does this. I was just trying to find a way around it for a couple of reasons

1. If the U:P is not part of the URL in the address bar, you have to type it in every time when downloading things from certain sites. This is esp. true when using a download accelerator like FlashGet or GetRight.

2. Just easier to store in "Fav" folder with it there so that you don't have to type it in every time

3. Lastly, and very rarely, some sites will make you type the U:P with every page change, unless it's part of the URL in the address bar. This way with every change of the page it's still there.

So basically when you enter
    hxxp://username:password@members.anysite.com/page 1

and the click to the next page, I would like it to carry over so it reads

hxxp://username:password@members.anysite.com/page 2
    or something to that effect. However as you guys pointed out, because of security issues it just end up as

hxxp://members.anysite.com/page 2

This is what I'm trying to get around.

I know it started after I downloaded and installed an update from windows. I think it was Q832894. But this doesn't show up in my 'Add/Remove' feature in Control Panel. It's there though, cause when I check what version of IE is currently installed, it lists it, along with all the other updates.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks again

AntiOnline n00b
    In the 'Add/Remove' feature in Control Panel click on the" Internet Explorer 6 Sp1 And Internet Tools" Click Add/Remove Button . it should give you a Dialog Box Saying
    • Add Component
    • Repair
    • Restore To Previous Windows Configration

Select the last one it should do the trick.

--Good Luck--

Dear SwordFish_13

Again I must thank you for really trying to help me out here. No luck though. The attachment contains 2 screen captures of my add and remove folder in the control panel. The IE6 you mentioned is not to be found

thanks again

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi
    It means IE-6 came with you OS, Actullay i Upgraded from IE5 to IE 6 thats why i have this Option. And Sorry Buddy i tried But can't find any Fix to it. I think Microsoft Admitted to this Kind of URL spoofing and Released a Patch(or not ) but i can't seem to finds it...

--Good Luck
    [edit]

I found, it i found it . Whats more i installed it and it is working
    . and let me thank you for reminding of this Vanurability.

http://secunia.com/advisories/10395/

*Foo now i can go back to Sleep

SwordFish_13

My God your'e good

thank you so much
    It's been driving me crazy for days

thanks...... now get some needed sleep

After all this work everyone is putting you through i am suprised noone recommended that you use a program like mozilla or opera.

I know that Mozilla will allow you to go ahead and visit those websites and in my opinion its a much more advanced and less vulnerable browser, PLEASE dont get me wrong its not invulnerable. so check them you you may just grow to like them

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

http://www.opera.com/download/

Good luck with them
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here