Thread: Wireless Cards for Kismet

Wireless Cards for Kismet

Hello All,

I have a site survey that i need to do for a cleint. They are concerned about there wireless security and I am going to visiting on Wedensday.

In the past I have just verified that a wireless network is open by using my D-Link card and seeing what networks were available in Windows.

I have been doing some deeper reading and find that Kismet and AirSnort are supposed to be pretty good, but neither support my model of WNIC.

I have also read that orinoco cards are well supported. This is my plan, just checking to see if anyone has any advise or things I may want to look out for.

I am running windows XP Pro on my laptop, I plan on using the bootable Knoppix STD to run kismet and airsnort and all the other wireless goodies. Should I go with the Orinoco cards for my wireless? I have never set it up like this. Just wondering if Knoppix will recognize the card when I boot to the CD, and will let me use kismet for my tests.

Also, if anyone has a good recommendation for a decent card that is supported by kismet and airsnort and the other tools, i would be very gratefull :-)

Thanks!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

re: Kismet and wi-fi card

Personally, I use a Orinoco Gold with my laptop and a ambicom CF with my sharp zaurus. Both were easy to get Kismet to work with and haven't had any issues since I purchased them.

Cheers,
    <0
    Ego is the great Logic killer

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I have used both Orinoco and Cisco Aironet cards with Kismet. The only problem I ever ran into was when I had an old build of pcmcia_cs installed on my laptop. With a new version of Knoppix, you *shouldn't* run into this issue.

If you go with Orinoco, be sure you get all the patches from the AirSnort site. There are a few of them at last count.

Out of curiousity, why aren't you using NetStumbler on XP? Wouldn't that be easier than booting to a Knoppix disk and using Kismet?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Horse,

Thanks for the information..I dident go with Netstumbler because I forgot it was out there..lol pretty bad.

I notice it dosent mention my current card as being supported..so I guess ill go out and but the orinco card and use both :-)

Needed the card anyway might as well pick one up :-)

Thanks!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos