Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC wont boot

PC wont boot

Hey all..

I'm having a problem with this computer. Each time I turn it on...it goes to the windows XP blue screen of death...where it talks about all the memory dump and all that. Its telling me that the error is REGISTRY_ERROR

I tried booting in safe mode...nothin happened..

I went to the bios menu...but couldn't find anything helpful there.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Does it give any numbers beside REGISTRY_ERROR?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

Such an error indicates a failure in the system's registry. However, this error can sometimes be caused by failure to read the registry from the hard disk rather than because the registry itself is corrupt. So restore the registry from the backup and it should work.

I tried booting in safe mode...nothin happened..
    Does that mean it booted properly in safe mode..?

--Good Luck--

[edit]

Hey I just saw this very good article that gives Step -By-Step instrunctions to recover from Registary Problems

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting

Hope this helps

Is reimaging the computer not an option? I would back up any data you had an reinstall windows on it to see if that will fix it. Also windows XP has kinda a nondestructive restore option that will just repair bad parts of it. I have see that error related to hardware before too, bad hard drive/memory etc. So keep an eye on those and regular backups.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

I'm thinking of doing a defrag...but cant get into dos...anyone know how

Its not even booting in safe mode

Is it NTFS or DOS format? If it's DOS you should be able to get in with a 98 boot disk. If it's NTFS you'll need second hand software like NTFSDOS http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../ntfsdos.shtml
    provided of course you have access to another PC.

Even with that I'm not sure you can defrag from the command prompt with XP??? You may be able to CHKDSK though.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

cant get to anything though...Icant get a secondhand program because it wont let me into windows...i need to get to the command prompt...Thats what I meant to say...i called it DOS lol...its a winXP pc . When I try to boot in safe mode with command prompt...it goes straight to the blue screen. I cannot afford to reinstall windows because of hte games that are in there...I'd have to figure out which CD key that computer was using to avoid conflict with the other ones. Right know I cannot afford to spend a lot of time on finding out the CD keys.

AntiOnline n00b
    When I try to boot in safe mode with command prompt...it goes straight to the blue screen
    If it's isnt leting you into Command Prompt then i think you don't have much of a option. I think file Allocation Table is corrupt, you would have to do a restore

Your best bet is to back up everything( If you want to boot into the system then use windows 98 bootable Floppy.)and do a system restore.

I was able to get to a menu...which is allowing me to run an extended test on all the hardware. Right this moment its doing a memory test and checking pretty much all the other shiz on the computer.

I'll get back to you if it finds sometihng.

how about trying a repair ? set your boot order in the bios to cdrom as the first boot device, boot off of the xp cdrom and chose repair.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XP...install.htm#RI
    or
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...pair/part1.htm