Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet over power lines

internet over power lines

Sean Porter's high-speed Internet connection doesn't come through a cable-television cord, a telephone line or from a satellite.
    http://www.washtimes.com/business/20...0425-2213r.htm

When can I have it?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It's a great idea if you live in a rural area and can't get DSL/Cable, and a cheaper alternative to satellite. It makes sense to roll out the service further because if you haven't got power lines you won't have a computer (more likely than not!) and so broadband would be a bit pointless anyway. However, given the UK's appalling track record on rolling out anything technological (especially broadband), I don't expect to see it in my area for a couple of years yet.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I saw alot of bad press report about this technology. I cannot find back the source but I was saying that running data over power grid might do stop radio frequency to stop working proprebly.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I'm afraid it to is gonna be a few years before they get it to my area, but I hope they get it sooner than that.

Sure will be nice once it gets here.
    =

Originally posted here by SDK
    I saw alot of bad press report about this technology. I cannot find back the source but I was saying that running data over power grid might do stop radio frequency to stop working proprebly.
    Radio? Who needs radio? You can listen to music over your broadband!
    And.. depending on the station you tune into... you don't have to put up with commercials every 2 songs.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmm... I wouldn't matter seeing that in action. I wonder what it's speed is. I would imagine rather fast.

One other thing though is, how secure is it?

I have about 6 questions I am wondering now about this. First will you need a modem. Because if it makes sense, you won't be dialing in, so therefore no need for a modem.

I don't know about over power lines, but inside homes its a very slow form of networking (1Mb/s unless you use some special hardware last time I checked). I wouldn't think you would need a modem as such, although for my ADSL connection I don't dial-in yet the device I have is still called a modem (well, it's a router with a built-in modem if you want to be picky). Stricly speaking you'd need something to convert the signal from your computer to whatever frequency is sent down the power lines, which is what a modem does by definition (MOdulating DEModulating).

Now this is the question that is most interesting to me, If you don't pay your power bill but pay your Internet bill, can you still use the Internet hehe.

I would imagine that the contract you sign for your Internet connection will have a clause dependant on you paying your power bill.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    Now this is the question that is most interesting to me, If you don't pay your power bill but pay your Internet bill, can you still use the Internet hehe.
    Without power, isn't the point rather moot anyway's, at least when the batteries on your laptop die.

Cheers:
    DjM