Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messageboard visitors/posts

Messageboard visitors/posts

When visiting a public messageboard, how can a site track its visitors? On a computer with cookies disabled, dynamic ip domain masks, how can the computer be tracked for repeat visits and post content?

Perhaps you may need to start blocking entire subnets..

Can kill forum traffic but as they say....Thats the breaks.

PS: the messageboards do not require logon...

That's a possibility. Would that be done on the web server (IIS, in this case)?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You might want to look at server side sessions. This technique is used in PHP and can be a method of tracking users. Is this question, however, about blocking users or keeping track of them as far as what posts they have read or what they have posted?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

visitor tracking

Initially to track what they've posted (what they are reading is interesting also). Then blocking if they are continually posting objectionable/off-topic messages.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Two seperate processes then. IMHO, I'd use the server side sessions to keep track of users who don't use cookies and to avoid cookies usage in general.

Then to deal with users who do "no-no" things, I'd put in place specific bans through firewalls and/or local files that deny access (I'm think *nix and the hosts.deny/hosts.allow files). Start with specific bans based on IP and go broader if it becomes more problematic. Lastly, you may need to consider switching to a username/password login to limit who has access if they become specifically caustic.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If you're running Apache, you may also want to consider the Deny directive as supplementary to the hosts.deny/hosts.allow option. It can be placed within any .htaccess file, or within a <Directory> directive in the main configuration. For the sake of keeping it manageable, you'll probably want to go with your Deny directive.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

If IIS has such a mechanism, I'd need to deny an entire subnet?

I'm looking though IIS now for this option.

Many thanks.

Great site.

So, we disable subnet, short of going to another network, what can a determined user do to get on the messageboard anyway?

the determined user could use a proxy..

if the user from the usa would use a proxy say in germany he'd have an entirely different subnet..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !