Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best AntiVirus

Best AntiVirus

hey guys, what do you think the overall best antivirus is?

Whatever gets the job done for you without pissing you off. For me, Panda and Norton for full scans and then Mcafee's stand alone program called Stinger is great for mass scanning ( it only scans for the newest viruses though.)

Try what you want -

Mcafee - Trial (Stinger is free)

www.mcafee.com

Norton - Trial

www.symantec.com

Panda - Free

www.pandasoftware.com

AVG Antivirus - Free

www.grisoft.com

Bit Defender - Free

www.bitdefender.com

These are the only ones I would reccommend. So just try these out and see what works best.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

in my opinion kaspersky is the best.. not free, but trialware

http://www.kaspersky.com/trials.html

As an alternative to a program, you can try Trend Micro's Housecall . Always the newest definitions, without any of the [sarcasm] "hassle" [/sarcasm] of installing a program and updating the defs.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

The best antivirus system is end-user education.
    - Stugein

Banned
    Existing anti-virus systems are obsolete.

New types are being developed as we speak, dealing primarily with worms at first, but you get the idea. This will allow systems to detect and defend unknown malware.

For further reading, (much of which based upon: http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/dqw.htm ) give a read over the attached pdf document.

catch

i think that norton is the best. its great cause its free.

Great recommendations and comments, but the bestest or greatest is useless unless you keep it completely updated and also layer your protection with AV, Spyware detection stuff, Firewall, etc., and keep them updated as well.

cya

norton is free?
    what are you saying dude?
    are you drunk?
    norton has a great support.i won't recommend any av software.i will just say that i had a box infected by netsky and the updated version of f-secure couldn't do anything at all .i just downloaded the fixnetsky from symantec.com and that's it.....
    www.rootforge.com

I am a huge fan of trend micros PCCillin. My version checks every 3 hours ( you can change this to your liking) it also gives you a heads up display if theres a new virus in the wild, and will ask you to update.

great user console comes with a firewall and doesnt seem to take up near as much cpu usage as norton
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here