Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: computer hacking

The competition will probably come up in about 1-2 weeks. Today we need to turn in the attach and defense strategies.
    Which firewall and antivirus software should we install? If possible, a free one
    How can we change our port to port 53?
    I will keep you posted to what's going on.
    Thanks a lot!!!

I use Kerio Personal Firewall. Just search for some on google. There are many free ones.
    Me gusta comer cheecharonies en el bano.

For a firewall I would use Sygate Personal Firewall, it's free and if you add advanced rules to block all ports but the server you have to run then that should keep them out for a while.

http://www.simtel.net/product.downlo...s.php?id=53687

During the 12 hours when you are being attacked you might want to run ethereal and look at all the packets going by to see what they are doing and if they might have found a hole, you will have to play with ethereal a little before to get used to it, if you right click on a sespecious packet and hit follow TCP steam you will be able to see what data is in the packets.

http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

AVG antivirus is a free AV program that as far as I know is as good at stopping viruses as Norton or McAfee.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Hope this helps some.

BTW, what server does your instructor require you to run during the 12 hour defense part?

ARP

Maybe I am not thinking about this correctly , perhaps I have the wrong idea all together, couldn't you install cain and abel and perhaps ARP-poison them as well, redirect there attacks back at them? Or at least get some decent idea (without the use of ethereal) as to how they are attacking you?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Fifty-two ports open, but no Telnet...(Try SSH?)

Fifty-two ports sounds a little bit iffy, and suspicious in a war-game such as this. Sygate has never, for me, allowed a single port to appear to even EXIST.

If I were you, I might suspect a honeypot....so be careful.

Good-luck.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

can any one help so that we do business the security here is not effective ...... ghana

What? That doesn't make any sense.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.