Thread: Sun Java Desktop

Dead Man Walking

Sun Java Desktop

I recently got my hands on an eval copy of suns java desktop for *nix. It runs on its own cd kinda like knoppix or any other live distro you might think of. Now before i go any further i just want to let everybody know that:

1. the opinions expressed here are just that. you dont like it get over it.
    2. I understand that it was a live eval and all of the downsides associated with them ... like running slow because of working from the ram.

It didnt come with many packages to play around with. It gave me trouble running stuff that i had setup on my *nix partitions such as GAIM. It did have a nice warm fuzzy look to it. IMHO it isnt anybetter than KDE or GNOME. I dont understand how sun thinks they are going to make any money charging people for something that just looks a little prettier. Of course as the *nix users here all know the Graphical User Interface isnt where the true power of linux is anyways. The bottom line is this : if you have more money than you do brains spend the $100USD on this product to make your favorite distro look like windows XP. If not save the money stick with your window manager of choice and go buy something that might benifit you

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I dont understand how sun thinks they are going to make any money charging people for something that just looks a little prettier. Of course as the *nix users here all know the Graphical User Interface isnt where the true power of linux is anyways.
    I haven't seen this product or used it yet- but I agree with your point here. KDE and Gnome and Redhat's BlueCurve themes are already "Windows-ish" enough IMO and they are free.

I think there are two distinct camps and its going to be a LONG while before they truly merge. The home market is filled with millions of users who see the computer as an appliance- like their toaster or VCR. They don't want to know any more than is absolutely necessary to get it to run Quicken, get email and check the weather and movie times online.

Those who are computer "geeks" in the best sense of the term don't want point-and-click and glitz and glamour- at least not at the expense of power and security. These are the *Nix users typically.

When it comes to arguing security and which OS is more secure it becomes a circular argument. Linux may be more secure by default than Windows, but one of the primary reasons that Linux tends to be more secure is that Linux users are more knowledgeable about security as a group. It is difficult to do an apples to apples comparison because the two user groups are so vastly different in both their knowledge and skill level as well as their use of the computer platform.

This product by Sun seems to be another in a line of products trying to blur the line- adding glitz and glamour and point-and-click simplicity to the power and security of Linux might sound like a good idea in theory. But, right now I don't think either audience is interested. The *Nix users don't want the glitz and glamour and the Windows home market is a long way off from wanting to venture into the *Nix world.

There is some segment of the market that fits this, but I don't think its big enough to try and market a commercial product like this to.

Just my rambling $.02

Dead Man Walking
    I could see marketing a comercial product if the product had a leg to stand on. But as it is the only thing this priduct has going for it is the name SUN and JAVA. even though the company admits it isnt java based in anyway other than it comes with all the java stuff pre-installed. Browser plug ins etc etc. It looks realy nice. If it were free i might use it. The one problem i see with it is the price. Im not ,as a hard working average joe, going to spend that kind of money on a product when i can get almost the exact same thing for free. I dont realy see any need to make *nix any easier anyways. i dont know many windows users who with a little guidance couldnt find thier way around KDE or GNOME. Hell im living proof of that.