Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for the right

question for the right

Whats up wit hall of this rumbilings from the right wing blogs and talking heads about bringing back the draft.....Is there a felling on the far right that the republicans have been in power too long or something? This has to be the dumbist idea I have ever heard from both a political and a military stand point. So why this new pet issue?

Road you seem to be prety sane whats up on this one?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    As an ex professional soldier of ten years I can assure you that the professional soldiers in the world do _not_ want a conscript in the same grid square. It's an issue of trust. I'm not saying that a conscripted man can't or won't fight as well and as hard as a volunteer..... But the conscript got there because he is trying to avoid something else he didn't want to do. I prefer to have chaps around me that said " I can do this, I'm in"..... But that's me...

So, unless it's world war three and, to quote Platoon, "I need every swinging dick in the field" then conscription is the watering down of your fighting force if for no other reason than there will always be an "us and them" feeling in the ranks.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger Shark: haveing spent some time as a military spoues taht is the feeling i get from most of the current and exmilitary. It seems that its only the chickenhawlks who have never served a day in their life that want a draft.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Because then it's a lottery..... and everyone loves to think they will _win_ the lottery.... Unfortunately.... very few do and there lives would probably be better used back "home"...

IMO, leave the soldiering to those that are prepared to do it _properly_! Leave the rest at home to do what they do best...... (that's not a derogatory comment).
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, I haven't personally met one soldier or marine that was actually happy to go to Iraq. One thing that I learned in my para-military experience is that once you're in, there's something called team work and we don't really differentiate between who wanted to be there or not. The point is to do the job right and get the hell out, everyone. That includes blacks, hispanics, middle class, poor, reserves and what have you.

I see the left using the draft as a political scare tactic to win votes in their favor and some rights thinking a draft would do the populace some good.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Some would argue that a large percentage of the current volunteer forces are persons with less economic options or academic interest. So, would more wealthy college bound youth be in the conscription military? Does this conflict with the stereotype of the "right"?
    [glowpurple]Which is more powerfull, knowledge or imagination?[/glowpurple]

come on road closed...every one floating trial bllones on this or on the right (the head of the slective service, verious congress men, verious talking heads.). No one on the left is realy pushing it, i only know about the push because im a member of my local draft board.

In fact, some info a little more pertanint to this group, if bush gets another four years they are going t otry and push through a skill based slective draft looking for computer profeshionals.

Originally posted here by bballad
    In fact, some info a little more pertanint to this group, if bush gets another four years they are going t otry and push through a skill based slective draft looking for computer profeshionals.
    Glad I only have one and a half more years left for being drafted. I think that I would do ok in the millitary, but its not somewhere I want to be. I am sure that if the time came and I was drafted, I would probably fight for America, but I dont think that I would be really happy doing it. I can really understand tigersharks point about professional soldiers not wanting the draft.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

We do have a crisis on our hands in the military now..there are not enough troops t odo the jobs they are forced to do by this administration...we have bitten off more then our military can chew, the answer is not a draft though, the answer starts with doing something that no recent president besides clinton has done, give the grunts a pay raise...make the army a competitive career wit h what a kid out of school can get. From there we can stop the max diployment of the reserves and try to keep our troops out of situations that they are not trained to deal with (iraq). But treating our troops like trash the way our current administration is doing (cut in pay, back to back hazerd duty, stop order rufesing to let people out when there enlistment is up..ect) is the wrong way to support our military.