Thread: Traceroute issue

Traceroute issue

I am running a Slack 9.1 box [well, mobile-box ]. I am connected to my Linksys BEFSR41 Router and from there to the ADSL modem and out in the wild.

Whenever I run traceroute I only get

1 * * *
    2 * * *

etc...

I left it on for more hops, but no change. I am wondering if anybody can help me at all with this, it really is a problem sometimes.

I also noticed that I was ftp-ing into somebody's server and when I ran ls it would just freeze. Is that related, maybe? I am thinking about the router, but I have no problem with the Internet. aMSN transfers [when I send] do not work, but online uploads work too. Again, I am thinking router. Any help is appreciated, at least for traceroute, I might be able to extrapolate from there on.

Thank you for your time!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ping is turned off perhaps? What kind of router is it?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

PING only works for a few websites. One, to be exact, and local network hosts. It does not work for www.microsoft.com, but it does for www.burnabysouth.com.

It is a Linksys BEFSR41 Router with 4-port switch [reading the specs from it]. I will look around the Linksys website once I get back from school, however if anybody's got an idea, go right ahead.

Thanx MsM for the answer.

cheers!
    /\\

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    FYI. It appears it may be your Router...

New features in Linksys firmware.

There's a couple of goodies in this one. First, the router doesn't need a reboot for every little change. Second, they added DNS and WINS server info on the DHCP page. This allows you to specify which DNS and WINS servers (if any) are handed out to the DHCP clients. You can also specify lease time. And, they're working on improving the IPSec pass-through feature by allowing multiple pass-through sessions and also an issue with the Nortel client.

On the downside, it appears that traceroute does not work with this version of the firmware.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thank you MsM, I will move to the desktop and upgrade the firmware and everything, maybe something changes. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll post if anything goes bad after I upgrade everything.
    /\\