Thread: connect 2 computer without internet?

connect 2 computer without internet?

Hi,
    Dont know if this is the right place to post it..but ..anywaz..
    I wants to know,

1. How can we send data/communicate between 2 computers having modem and PSTN phone line without going out to internet?
    2. what all possibilities / technoligies / software we all?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure if this works and you need a usb cable but is there not a way of hooking up to computers using a usb cable?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yeah, head down to your local computer store and buy the kit that uses your existing phone wire in your home.

Have a look here:

http://www.homepna.org/products/

Personally, I'd just throw 2 NICs in and use a crossover cable if you're too cheap to buy a hub.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I actually think he/she is talking about dial up networking.

What OS are you using ?

Yeah Mark you are right,. Something on the lines of dial up networking.
    The computers are at different locations.

Well, I only know of one way and that's through infared on laptops I remember when I used to do that when it wouldn't fit on a floppy
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...l+up+server%22

Windows has the ability to do it with Dial up networking.
    You need to enable the server to answer the phone.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AO French Antique News Whore
    HyperTerminal?

Are the computer at the same location? Then you can use cross-over network cable.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Here is a very quick link to microsoft technet. it was the first one that came up in my search on technet. The article deals with the question of dialup networks on windows 95 but a lot of the basic information is still relevant to most other OS. I havent set up a system like that in a while (last time was when we were testing the release candiate of windows 98) but I think that the most difficult part of setting up your two machine will be the authentification. If you are using Windows 2000 or XP that shouldn't be a major problem.

dial up connection in windows 95

P.S.
    I normally check out the Windows 95 archive first when i want to confirm some basic information as I find that the articles there are a lot clearer than lot of the later ons dealing with the same subjects.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)