Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A baby in Tux Land

A baby in Tux Land

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?.../04/02/1424206

Go ahead, say it; It's cute huh? LOL.

I have a friend who uses a KVM switch to switch between his and his wifes computer. My friend runs Red Hat Enterprise Edition and his wife runs XP Professional. They had a few issues where their son would crash the windows box while playing around on it. To keep this from happening they built their son a WinXP box and let him use it at will. The problem was, it kept getting messed up, so they removed Windows installed Mandrake and it has been up ever since. He plays all the freeware games and also has a controller to play NES/SNES/SEGA etc games on it via emulator.

I'm surprised more parents don't give their children a nix box. A small 450 MHz system w/ 128 MBs RAM and the child has a gaming box that will take a while to get bored with.

I agree. My cousin is about 15 and knows a bit about computers. I show him Linux all the time. He just got a new laptop for his Birthday, and I may be putting Linux on it for him. If kids get started with Linux instead of Windows, they would think WINDOWS was hard instead

How cute.

If I ever have kids they will be dual booting before they get out of diapers.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have just started using Lindows, and certainly see it as a viable alternative to Windows...........OK, I have always seen AppleMac as such, but even more expensive?

I guess Linux just needs a bit more GUIfication? (hey I just invented a new word )

Just my thoughts

Originally posted here by nihil
    I have just started using Lindows, and certainly see it as a viable alternative to Windows...........OK, I have always seen AppleMac as such, but even more expensive?

I guess Linux just needs a bit more GUIfication? (hey I just invented a new word )

Just my thoughts
    Nihil: Have you checked out KDE or Gnome with a big Linux vendor like SUSE or Redhat ? Nice pretty GUI with lots of stuff to click on....
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Suse is getting there, they made a real good move by offering the Wine Rack. However, I think something like Linspire is a good tool to get started with. Once your comfortable with Linspire then dual boot to a Debian/Red Hat/Suse and Linspire Developers Edition.

*Note LindowsOS is now officially known as Linspire.

CXGJ

Nihil: Have you checked out KDE or Gnome with a big Linux vendor like SUSE or Redhat ? Nice pretty GUI with lots of stuff to click on....
    I will have to revisit those as well........................my SUSE and Redhat versions are about v. 5 or earlier

What I have been looking at is a Linux competitor to windows in terms of ease of use for non-computer savvy people...............an off the shelf solution so to speak?

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    CXGJ
    I will have to revisit those as well........................my SUSE and Redhat versions are about v. 5 or earlier

What I have been looking at is a Linux competitor to windows in terms of ease of use for non-computer savvy people...............an off the shelf solution so to speak?

Cheers
    Lindows is a good way to go for the user who has "just taken his/her first step" into the Linux world. I personally like SUSE (using version 9 right now at home with 2k) because it has a lot of GUI wizards and controls that make it feel sort of close to windows. Check it out sometime. (I am using the Professional Edition - $80 USD)

YES!!!!! LISTEN TO HIM!!!!! SuSE Linux is the best.