Thread: Windows Installation Does Not Detect HD for OS Repair

Question Windows Installation Does Not Detect HD for OS Repair

I have a server that I am trying to perform a Windows repair on. However, when I boot off the Windows installation disk, it fails to detect any hard drives.

Both hard drives are Promise 1X2 Mirror/RAID SCSI Disks. I know it can't be a problem with the drives, because I can't boot regularly with no problems; I just cannot boot off the Windows CD.

So where do I begin?

Do you have the SCSI drivers? If my memory serves me right, when you boot up the Windows 2000 install it gives you an option (press a certain key to install 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers) to install 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers. You may need those for the Win2k disk to see the hard drive array.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I figured that would be the case. Are those usually available for download somewhere? I don't know who makes those particular drives, and googling didn't seem to turn up much.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    I figured that would be the case. Are those usually available for download somewhere? I don't know who makes those particular drives, and googling didn't seem to turn up much.
    The only RAID setup we have at work is a DELL raid and so Win2k had all the drivers for it. I would suggest cracking the case and looking at the RAID board (if they have one), SCSI card (if they have one), and anything atteched to the hard drives. You should be able to see the manafacturer on the hardware. If not, boot back into Windows and look in your device manager and see if it lists the item. If so, try to find the manafacturers website. Or you can try http://www.driverguide.com/ Member name: drivers password: all
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AO French Antique News Whore
    CXGJarrod is right! You need to press F6 (If my memory is good) to install 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    CXGJarrod is right! You need to press F6 (If my memory is good) to install 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers.
    Thats it! I was thinking it was F8 for some reason, but I knew that was wrong! (Too many Windows 2000 installations) Any news? Did you get Windows repaired?

Not yet. I got the specs on my hard drives and went to the developer's website. I thought I had found the right drivers and downloaded them to floppy, but evidently not. When I tried to use the disk for my third party drivers, the hard drives were still undetected. My next step is to check and make sure I went after the right drivers.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Stupid question, did you copy the zip on the disk or the EXTRACT file on the disk?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Ok, I got my info from device manager concerning my hard drive controller, which is a Promise FastTrak100 TX2/TX4. So, I went to the Promise website and downloaded and unzipped the appropriate and most recent drivers to a floppy. Went the F6 routine during installation with the floppy and...same problem.

This time, I received the message that "txtsetup.oem" could not be found on the floppy. Curses!

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Ok, I got my info from device manager concerning my hard drive controller, which is a Promise FastTrak100 TX2/TX4. So, I went to the Promise website and downloaded and unzipped the appropriate and most recent drivers to a floppy. Went the F6 routine during installation with the floppy and...same problem.

This time, I received the message that "txtsetup.oem" could not be found on the floppy. Curses!
    You might also try here on driverguide.com
    http://list.driverguide.com/list/company854/

Go down to Promise FastTrak100 TX2/TX4 and download. Username and password are the same as above.