Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad hard drive noises?

bad hard drive noises?

my hd makes a clicking noise from time to time. it sound kind of like "click-click... click-clic.. click-click". i'm not sure how old it is but i think its relatively new. for a while it was making the noise when i was copying large files, but i ran defrag and scandisk and it stopped making the noise. today, it started making it again when it goes into the energy saver thing where the hard drive shuts down. i was wondering if its bad for a new hard drive to sound like this.

Sounds like a turn signal right? Sounds to me like you have a broken part of the drive. The reason it may work after a defrag is related to how the disk is written to. If your drive is under warranty, get it returned, but you sure don't want to mess with keeping any critical data on it. I worked on a Dell Optiplex system exhibit similar symptoms, but in addition, it would seem to lock the system up while it was waiting for the data, and it got to the point where it did it for nearly a minute at a stretch.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

my comp has been doing some starnge stuff lately. sometimes it totally hangs up and i have to hard shutdown. sometimes it does this wierd thing with the screen where it looks like a bunch of colored lines. the lines are always the same color as whatever was on the screen, so if im on antionline, it will hang and the screen will be a bunch of yellow, white, and gray lines. then i have to hard shutdown.

time for a new computer then..

first issue is bad bearings on the HDD as inferred by chsh.. back up data now..
    if it dies on you, then you can try putting the drive in the freezer (bagged) and
    continuing the backup..

the second problem could be a few things.
    video card, shared memory of video card if you have onboard video on the mobo.
    psu not cutting the mustard.
    any device either plugged into the mobo or onboard.. crapping out.
    maybe it's even related...to the HDD.. but it would have to be an very bad error from the IDE controller getting hung by said HDD.. take out the HDD and boot with another HDD or throw in a knoppix live cd (without your HDD) and see if you still get video problems. it could actually be a motherboard problem too.. there's a lot of mobo's (and other things) that have bad capacitors.. they only seem to go bad after a period of time.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254652

Phonedog,

It would help me if you told me what your system specs were......like:

Make
    Model
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Harddrive
    CD?
    DVD?
    Modem
    NIC
    Printer
    Soundcard

and so on

I have seen both problems, but not together, so the information will help me

Cheers & Happy Easter

its generic, so i dont really know if the make will help, but its a "firelite dragonfire". i bought it off tigerdirect.com. the audio and video controllers are on board. i was about to but a new gfx(a nvidia fx) card in there but if its in bad shape i think im gonna be sending it back to the manufacturer(again). theres a real custormer service horror story behind all of this

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    Computer Name SHAWNCOMP (Shawn's Computer)
    User Name Shawn
    Logon Domain SHAWNCOMP

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 MHz (4.5 x 533)
    Motherboard Name PCChips M925 (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
    System Memory 480 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (01/24/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (32 MB)
    3D Accelerator S3 SuperSavageDDR
    Monitor Philips 107T (107T2) (BZ 47470549)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST340810A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive RW-241040 (24x/10x/40x CD-RW)

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 38162 MB (25525 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
    Primary IP Address 192.168.0.4
    Primary MAC Address 00-0A-E3-6D-9A-25
    Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.0.4)

Peripherals:
    Printer Auto Lexmark 3200 Series ColorFine on GENECOMPUTER

Bet dollars to donuts its a maxtor.
    Dell does use maxtors...
    thats the maxtor hiccup, heard it a million times.
    usually happens about 7-9 months of age, I just call maxtor and tell them its having issues, and they are pretty good about sending a new one under the warrantee.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

yeah, i dont think its a maxtor. ill check it out tho

Originally posted here by Phonedog911
    yeah, i dont think its a maxtor. ill check it out tho
    Dont break the seal if they have one on the back of the case. On some of Tiger Directs stuff they put a sticker on the back of the case so that if you open it and break the sticker, they will not warrenty it. Beware if this is the case.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

here is the story:
    i bought a new computer off tigerdirect.com t from a company called firelite around august this summer. i have it for about 6 months and the cd drve (philips) starts getting all wacky. then the motherboard went. i called the customer service number that came with the pc, cuz its covered under warranty for like a year or something. the number is out of service... i call tiger direct to see whats up and i get the run around for like a week, until i find out that firelite went out of business. i complain to tiger direct and they say they'll honor the warranty because they stand behind their products or w/e. i send it in, packaged very, very well and they were supposed to replace the motherboard and the cdrw... they ended up sending back somebody elses components in my case not cool. not only was it the wrong order, the fan for the cpu had fallen off and banged around all over the boards and stuff during shipping. they said they would send back a brand new comp, but they really just sent back the same parts, in a new case(cause the case got horribly damaged during shipping). now the hd is making the noise and i dont know how long any of the other parts are going to last b4 they go either