Thread: Cookies

Cookies

i have a web site and i wanted to know how i can use maybe cookes to better serve my customers.

more information pleeaaase :D

You can do a lot with cookies that is a fact but 3 questions arise:

1. What site.(where is the site about wat is the url stuff like that)
    2. What do you want to make the cookies do.(you need to have a goal before you can search and research something)
    3. What does it have to do with security.
    4. what is this thread doing in questions about AntiOnline forum.

besides that, hello and very nice to see you.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

I am not to good at this but I think most of those cookies are considered spyware. However it really depends upon what the site is for.

-Cheers-

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    *sigh*

Okay, here is a rundown on cookies.

Taken from Webopedia.com.

A message given to a Web browser by a Web server. The browser stores the message in a text file. The message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.

The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and possibly prepare customized Web pages for them. When you enter a Web site using cookies, you may be asked to fill out a form providing such information as your name and interests. This information is packaged into a cookie and sent to your Web browser which stores it for later use. The next time you go to the same Web site, your browser will send the cookie to the Web server. The server can use this information to present you with custom Web pages. So, for example, instead of seeing just a generic welcome page you might see a welcome page with your name on it.

The name cookie derives from UNIX objects called magic cookies. These are tokens that are attached to a user or program and change depending on the areas entered by the user or program.

As you can see, cookies can be a very useful things if used properly, (and very destructive if used improperly). Almost anytime you go to a website, and it remembered some type of informatin about you, without your logging in or having an account, is most likly done with cookies. AntiOnline actually deposits a cookie on your machine. This cookie holds some information about things that they would like to know about you.

Thats about it.

xmadd
    Planet Maddness Industries
    http://www.planetmaddness.com

Originally posted here by PM8228
    I am not to good at this but I think most of those cookies are considered spyware. However it really depends upon what the site is for.

-Cheers-
    As a server runs, it requires some type of information to identify you from others, without cookes you would not have anything personalized on webpages, shopping carts, ect..

I do agree that cookies can be submitted to the dark side with custom ad's and other such crap
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers