Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for an Ethics Debate

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Time for an Ethics Debate

Caught this on Wired News last month, and thought I'd share.

Perverted Justice is a group of volunteers who go out on the web in chat rooms, AIM, IRC, etc. and pose as children in an effort to lure child predators. When they do, they capture all of the predator's personal info and post it to the website.

Perverted Justice volunteer Frank Fencepost posed in a chat room as "Marquelle," a 13-year-old girl, and lured 29-year-old Adrian to his apartment for drinks. Before leaving the chat room, Marquelle requested that Adrian bring her a McDonald's meal. When Adrian showed up, Fencepost greeted him with a camera, a baseball bat and some harsh words.
    Read the two-part Wired article here:

Part One: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62650,00.html
    Part Two: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62676,00.html

So... Ethical or Unethical?
    Are these volunteers doing good, or just getting in the way of Law Enforcement?
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Sounds kinda like vigalante justice to me. Why dont they just turn these people into the cops? As much as what they are doing is wrong, going after someone with a baseball bat is probably not the best answer, nor will it help the child molester.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It will help the child molester. He or she can say they was targeting what he thought was and adult fishing for kids as a defense. "I was collecting evidence."
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    It will help the child molester. He or she can say they was targeting what he thought was and adult fishing for kids as a defense. "I was collecting evidence."
    Are you a lawyer by chance?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Nope, but I often wonder what would be so hard about!! My friend makes over 300k a year marketing his services.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

You have to be very careful when considering vigalante action against people you think are paedophiles - often the wrong person is targetted. I remember last year one UK newspaper printed photos of people who were on the Sex Offenders' Register, and a mob went after some poor bloke who happened to look like one of the people mentioned in the newspaper.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

well this is typical. the government doesn't care, they just want to 'nab' some ppl, so everyone thinks they are doing something to help us and keep us safe. they do that with drugs all the time, undercover agent sell to ppl (offer them drugs), then they bust them. its like the hackers are rampant, but the government is more concerned with illegal downloading of music......but what is being done about hacking? well, let me see...all i see is alot of new software that needs to be bought, extra 'security' and protection for us, limiting our access to the internet....the gov couldn't control it so they'll just infect it.....
    everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge:
    AND I\'M ABOUT TO BREAK...LP

echocontrol: if htese dopes wanted to help they would trun over the info they had to the police insted of going to meet the guy themselfs.....one of these pedafial trapers are going to snare the wrong guy and end up dead real soon..they also possably screw up ongoing investagations into these people.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I can't wait 'til one of these guys shows up at an undercover police operation.

"Hi I'm Joe, I'm here to kick your ass, sicko!"

"Hi there, Joe! I'm Detective Bob! You're under arrest!"
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

It'd be more fun to kill them. Vigalante would help lessen the load in prisons and all that.

-Cheers-