Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio media files replay Fast?

Audio media files replay Fast?

Hi Guy's,

The story is:

Setting up Win98 on a Compaq Deskpro En (P3-667-128mb) for a friend. Afetr the standard probs of drivers, all appeared to be workig ok. upgraded directx first to DX8.1 and IE to 5.5.
    I then went to install Musicmatch jukebox 8.. this is when I realised there was a problem..
    Anything that is played, CD's Wav and MP3's, is playing at about 50% faster than it should. ie if the song has a play time of 45seconds, it will take less than 30 seconds to complete..
    I removed MM jukebox, upgraded mediaplayer to to v9, then applied all the updates for 98 and upgraded DX to 9, IE to 6, reinstalled mm jukebox 8. removed and reinstalled Sound drivers.

Now short of formatting and reinstalling Win98 (I was about to ghost the drive before I noticed the problem) Has anyone encountered this problem? it dosent have to be on the same hardware or even OS.. I am looking for a possable cause.. If I need to reinstall I want to find the trap before I reinstall and avoid it next time.

Thanks and Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO French Antique News Whore
    Are you having the same problem with WM9?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Had everything upgraded to current .. WM9, IE6, all patches and updates.. I was about to image the drive, when I noticed a MP3 I started to play was "Fast" , knowing my friend wanted to use the machine to play MP3's, but she isnt a chipmunk fan.. I had to check it out.. the win start sound was fast, then I checked audio from Cd and then from wav file on the hdd.. all the same..

Current status.. reloaded windos.. and upto Mobo,video and audio drivers installed.. imaged the HDD here.. CD's play ok.. but mp3's are fast.. once the Modem drivers are installed even the cd audio is fast..? About to give it ago to update dx upto 9 an WM to 9 (BTW it is Win98se that is being installed).. I am suspecting some stupid driver problem.. (that is other than me)

Next time I think I will only do these favors with DELL systems.. the drivers are easier to get and the website easier to navigate Compaq/HP sux when you aren't using their install images..

Thanks for the comments SDK..

Cheers

BTW: I found this.. and thought how bloody simple... didn't fix the prob though: may help some one else..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ofastortooslow
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Silly question, but is the system overclocked?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Ok!

Open Windows Media Player
    Play
    Play Speed

What do you have? Slow? Normal? Fast?

See the shortcut key also? Crlt-Sft-G

Is that your problem! It's priceless!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Very Silly Question! See my previous answer!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

is the system overclocked?
    Nope.. doubled checked just incase I missed something the first time..
    Open Windows Media Player
    Play
    Play Speed

What do you have? Slow? Normal? Fast?

See the shortcut key also? Crlt-Sft-G
    don't have speed options under Play in WMP 9..
    Have just finished reinstalling full system.. IE 6, DX 9, and WMP9..

Before WMP 9, I could play CD's with out a hitch.. now a 4min song plays in 3:25.
    a MP3 that is 3:36 in length plays in about 3:06..

Crlt-Sft-G
    ??is that shift????

From my searches I am hearing several different versionson of this problem most common ..Drivers, Codecs and "you idiot that don't happen" now if this was the first of April..ok..

Going to install Winamp 3 as well as the current (8.2) version of Musicmatch and see what happens.. oh and recheck my other settings..

Cheers

update: no change with other media players.. as wellas a update of the codecs from MS, and tried two other driver sets for the AD1885 sound chip.. note have not been able to find the audio drivers from compaq..yet.. (as I said b4 next project of this nature will use a Dell).. next step will try load win2k--dnot prepared to go to winXP (not enough memory and I don't have an OEM copy)

I wonder if the Play Speed is a special WM9 functions for WinXP and not available for WM9 in Win98. I have no Win98 so I cannot check here. Sorry..
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Regal Making Handler
    Nah this is definetly a driver problem. I would try another sound driver. Compaq's web sight sucks they only seem to post upgraded drivers for there stuff. Try looking for another driver at www.driversguide.com

If you cant be bothered to create an account, pm me and ill give you the login i use.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Seems we can also abuse M$.. there is a issue with some AC97 codecs and win98 and Win2k.. BUT the artical seems to not exist on the knowledge base.. Artical Q269601 WDM update for support of AC3 Pass through ..

Yep thanks jinxy.. that is the site I have d/l'd my drivers through.. handy, not perfect.. 99% of time get the problem solved..

I am resolving that the problem is driver specific.. and currently trolling a compaq user forum..in the vain hope..

Cheers

EDIT: BTW SDK... yep the PB speed seems to be a Win XPee thing.. lol.. listening to some music on my main box.. sounds fast not chipmunky, the speed mod seems to freq compensate ... same story with slow....

BTW: out of 10 help sites I posted this question, this is one of only two where I at least recieved a reply in 3 or more days.. at one site 250 reads.. no replies!!.. just bothering to answer helps heaps.. so thank for the help..this is a genuine thanks for you reply's.. I realise that this question is out of the scope of some.. But if you don't ask you won't get the answer..