Thread: ip address blocks from an isp...

ip address blocks from an isp...

if i can have a block of 8 ip addresses (6 useable) from an isp...

what do i need at my end to handle that?

is the routing for the subnet handled by the isp and therefore i would only need a layer two device i.e. a hub or a switch...plug that into the modem and hey presto?

or - do i need a router at my end to handle the routing of the subnet they allocate me?

cheers.

What does 6 usable mean? (never purchased ip addy's from an isp.) Are they giving you a subnet of 8 addresses, 1 broadcast, and one net address?

So your leasing these I assume? And does that mean you've got a special line?

I assume you only have one line. Depending on exactly what type of line it is, will determine what you need to do. Your ISP really needs to answer these questions.

You may need to just use a hub like you say, and plug up the 6 computers. Your ISP will have to tell you wheter to use DHCP or static IP's. I've heard some ISP's make you still use dhcp even if you only have 1 static IP. But I'd imagine that changes per ISP and per service from said ISP.

If you've been given 8 ip addresses, I doubt you'll need a router, that's usually for putting multiple machines on 1 address (duh). But if you want to configure it as mainly just a firewall, and a point to hook your line in, that couldn't hurt. As long as you configure it right.

As far as I know these questions should really be handled by your isp.

~Jon.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Atomiser: what kind of connection

Upper: You are talking about commercial grade routers. They NAT multiple computers to a single address. If he's running a T1 or similar he'll need a router.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Tedob: Could you please tell that to SBC, Sprint, MCI etc..... With all the T1's I ever got through them with or without address blocks they never provided me with a router...... I feel used and abused now.....

I would suggest that if he is leasing a block of 8 IP's then this is a business venture and I would look at the WatchGuard SOHO or something similar as a gateway device and use that to NAT into internal devices......

I'm starting to wonder..... I wonder if he needs the multiple public IP's to provide multiple public servers or whether he is unaware that a single IP is all that is required in most cases....... It will save on the cost of the leased addresses. Atomiser??????
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides