Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabling onboard video card

disabling onboard video card

i just bought a new geforce fx 5600 agp gfx card and i am trying to install it on a pcchips m925 motherboard. this motherboard already has an onboard gfx card, but it sucks. i need to disable it and get my geforce installed. anybody know how to do it? i've tried the manufacuter website... www.pcchips.com it hasnt been much help

i also found this on google:
    gfx installation message board thingy
    that cant be good

can anybody give me some help about how to go about disabling an onboard video card?

edit:
    i've been poking around that site and i've managed to figure out that my motherboard is probably the m925 v5.0 (based on the pics and comparing the specs). i couldnt find the manual for that particular board, but i have one for a board that is very similar, im reading it now.
    here is the manual nothing much there...

You may find a setting in the BIOS that lets you swap between PCI and AGP......you might have to change this setting to delete the onboard video.

Otherwise I guess that you need a new MoBo I am assuming that you have checked for any othe options in BIOS?

Cheers

theres an option to switch between pci and agp, but nothing happens when i do it... i set it on agp, put the gfx card in and it starts up with the screen turning funny colors

Try leaving it on PCI. Switch off, install card, attach screen to the GeForce and boot up...............Windows might well detect a "new device"...............it will kick off in 16 colour 640 x 480.

Then install the drivers for the new device and switch the settings in the BIOS if you have to.

I have a couple of old boxes with integrated cards where it just uses the device I plug the screen into.

Another thought, I device manager, try switching off the onboard video "in this profile"

Sorry, I am afraid that you are probably going to have to "experiment" a bit.

Cheers

well, i guess it is possible for me to use a different gfx card at least. experimentation is always fun tho

Hi Phone,

I just remembered that I have a box with a PCChips MoBo..........not sure which one, but I will dig it out tomorrow and have a look. It is a PII/450..........not sure if it has onboard video though.

I will get back to you on it

Cheers

What OS are you running?

thnx nihil. it seems that it does work, but when we start up with the new gfx card, its just a bunch of lines and/or dots... could this be some kind of incompatibility with the monitor?

Hi Phone,

I would look at your BIOS, screen drivers and videocard drivers (yes even though it is a new card!).

Try setting the video to something like 640x480 and 256 colours (using the on board card) then try an install of the new card.

I wonder if the MoBo actually supports that high level card? have you checked that with the videocard supplier's site?

I don't think that it is the monitor.................it should come up with a basic visible cofiguration using generic drivers.

Can you try another monitor?

Cheers

well, according to the box and the system profiler im using, my comp meets the minimum requirements. you know whats wierd tho, it was brand new, says it requires a cd or dvd drive, and yet it came with now cds with drivers, game demos, etc. on them. but thats not important now. i have a newer monitor that im gonna try it out on tonight. until then ill try out what you said.

wierd tho, it was brand new, says it requires a cd or dvd drive, and yet it came with now cds with drivers, game demos, etc. on them. but thats not important now.
    OOPS!...................that's the problem.....................I have not bought a videocard in the last three years that did NOT have an installation CD and at least some demo software.

I think that you have been sold one that has been returned, and accidentally got back into stock?

It is probably damaged, which would explain the symptoms.

I suggest you take/send it back.

You also should have a booklet or at least a contents slip that will tell you what SHOULD be there

Return it, and give them a hard time. ["lawyers, consumer protection association, computer press"..............should be able to screw some decent "compensation" out of them for that]

Cheers