Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disabling onboard video card

i will call pny customer service on monday, this gfx card has actually been discontinued by nvidia and it was the last one on the shelf so chances are it was returned. since its been discontinued i guess i can convince em to upgrade me to the 5600 Ultra.

we're going to try the gfx card out in another comp and see if it works. is it possible that my video bios could be causing the problem? according to my system profiler its 2 years old. pcchipsusa has bios for my motherboard and drivers, for its chipset and the onboard gfx card, but i dont see anything specifically labled video bios. i tried flashing the bios they had for my motherboard and the flash program i am using, amiflash, tells me that "this system's bios does not support flashing". i dont see any virus protection settings or read/write options in my bios setup so i would assume that it is writeable.

Are you running Amibios? You could cause yourself great problems if you use the wrong program!.....is there a BIOS flash proggy available on the pcchips site?

What is your operating system?

Trying the card in another machine should tell you if it is working, but the lack of a CD tells me that your card has been sold before.

You might also try to borrow a PCI videocard? and see if that works with your MoBo?

Good luck

i know im running ami bios and my os is xp home. i dont have any pci gfx cards on hand, but after i read that msg board again(the one i put a link to in my first post), it seems that those ppl have an m925 and are trying to install a pci card and that is what causes a conflict. an agp card should work fine, i think. why would they have an agp port if you cant use it, doesnt agp stand for advanced graphics port or something like that? now im gonna have to look into why i cant update the bios because its out of date... hopefully its busted and not a real incompatibility issue

I have had problems with XP and videocard drivers............this Microsoft registration. I will just go and boot an XP box with on MoBo graphics and check the settings.

I will EDIT this post with the results

EDIT:

I am running AMIBIOS v1.21.06 (About 3 years old or more.............can't remember flashing it)

In "PCI/PLUG & PLAY SETUP" I have two options for "Primary Graphics Adapter":

1. OnBoard AGP [This is set to = "ON"]
    2. PCI

And "Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA = "YES"

These are the settings for a 64Mb onboard graphics adapter with shared RAM (64Mb)

What values do you have..................?....................I think that we might be getting there?

I think that you need to set your graphics card to PCI, even though it is actually an AGP slot?

I am sure I have a couple of RADEONs, and maybe one or two other AGP cards around.............I will try to install one tomorrow (it is a National Holiday here, so I will have plenty of time ) and check that setting and the process involved.

Please be patient, it is frequently difficult to sort hardware problems out, particularly remotely

Cheers

under the pci/plug and play setup i have:
    share memory size: 32mb
    primary graphics adapter: (pci/agp) pci is on
    allocate irq to pci vga: yes
    pci ide busmaster: disabled

there is also a section called "advanced setup" with options about agp and stuff so here are the options i have that are relevant to that:
    AGP mode: 4x
    AGP Comp. Driving: Auto
    Manual Agp Comp. Driving: CB (i thought this might be the problem, but im not sure what it is)
    AGP Aperture Size= 64mb
    auto detect dimm/pci clk= enabled (dont know if this one is relevant)
    pci ide busmaster= disabled (dont know what this is either)

i left it on the default settings with pci as the primary graphics adapter, installed the card, plugged my monitor in, booted up, and it did the crazy lines and dots thing. the comp actually loads windows and i've noticed that the it does dots when its in bios and lines when its in windows.

i got it: my motherboard only supports agp up to 4x and the card requires 8x. what really sucks is that isnt even printed anywhere on the box or in the manual... no bragging about how its 8x, it wasnt even listed in the minimum system requirements. i guess im gonna have to upgrade my mobo

actually, they do brag about it being 8x and twice the speed of 4x (in passing) on the box, but a mobo that supports agp 8x isnt listed as a minimum system requirement otherwise we wouldnt have bought it