Thread: A crazy idea

Talking A crazy idea

Hello, i was trying to get to sleep last night, and i got a thinking.
    You see i'm currently running Win XP. But i'd also like to run win98 as well on the same machine, so as i don't have to move from Box to Box.
    (Yes i'm lazy )
    Anyhow i was thinking that if i rename the win.com file in XP to something else like winxp.com.

Then when i try to install win98Se. XP wouldn't be detected when the setup does it's scan for another Operating System.
    And all i had to do then is specify another folder on the Drive for the win98 Files to go.

Eg:c:\windows
    (XP files are here)

if i copy the win98 files to

Eg:c:\other\windows

That way it's in another directory.
    And then i would change the 98's win.com to 98.com

And when you try to boot up the system i would just have to type the relevant .com to load the windows i want..

eg:if i wanted to load XP then at the command prompt i would just type winxp.com
    or if i wanted to load 98 then at the command prompt i would just type 98.com

Now is this at all possible? Or should i just stop being so slack and move from one Box to the other??

Any other ideas or suggestion are Welcome.
    And thank's for taking the time to read this crazy idea.

cheers
    THE*CABLE*GUY
    THE*CABLE*GUY
    I EAT, SLEEP, DREAM OF CABLE.

Go to this site http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/O...multiboot1.htm
    He shows you how to do this and more.

Cable Guy,

How about getting my rates lowered....first!.....lol

There's no need to jump from box to box. You can most certainly have multiple os's on the same hd if the disk is big enough. I have one box that boots, win, suse, & rh and another with xp, w98, and slack. There's a lot of boot loaders out there that will hide xp from 98, etc, so you can load and boot from the one you choose.

I'm sure there's plenty of threads here at AO on dual booting as well and of course www.google.com is you friend.

cheers

edit: great link by DeadAddict

Thank you Both so much.
    I did try using Google, but i must of kept on typing the wrong things into the Search Engine.
    I'm currently in the process of backing up those important Documents, just in case something goes awfully wrong..

Once again, thankyou both for your time and help i carn't thank you both enough.

cheers
    Cable*Guy
    THE*CABLE*GUY
    I EAT, SLEEP, DREAM OF CABLE.

Anothe option would be to get a KVM switch. You can set up multiple computers using the same keyboard, mouse and monitor, depending on how many switches are on the KVM.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/K/KVM_switch.html
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040406/