Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Freeze

Deep Freeze

I have just become a network administrator and unfortuanately I find myself making rather dumb mistakes. I recently installed Deep Freeze Standard on the computers at work, so that none of the employees mess up the computers. Unfortunately, I need to do maintenance on a few of these computers, and I forgot my Deep Freeze password.
    So now my problem is, is it possible to uninstall Deep Freeze?
    When I attempt to open the program to disable it, it asks for my password. I cannot simply uninstall it because as long as it is enabled, it will not uninstall. Deleting it doesn't work, either, as it simply reappears when the computer is rebooted. I tried killing the process and then deleting it, but that still doesn't work. I also tried to reinstall my copy of Deep Freeze, but it won't install unless the previous version is uninstalled first.
    I am at my wit's end; I cannot think of anything to do. I can't even format these computers and start from scratch, because Deep Freeze just restores the hard drive every time.
    Please someone, if you have any advice for me, it would be really appreciated.

beyond me but i like the humor of the situation where your employees need protection from the admin, but if it is really deleted, then disable restore , boot, delete, boot and renable restore, but i dont think that will work in this case
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

try a blank password, (Default setting) hopefully when you set the password you hit the enter key instead of clicking OK. Cancel is the default and hitting enter would cancel setting a new password. Outside of that - I 'm not sure why formating wouldn't help. Erase the disk and there is nothing to restore. Or am I missing something?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I'm fairly familiar with deep freeze. Boot disk and format dude. That's all I can suggest. And it worked the last time I heard. You obviously have use of the system so you can back all up. If you can't get a floppy/cd to boot regardless of what some peice of software says, then I'm surprised your an administrator of any sort.

as jxrry stated above, if it's formatted (format all drives) then there's nothing to restore from.

btw, I wouldn't put a link to a hack even if I had one without a better worded request than that.

Oh, and IF YOU CAN'T REMEMBER YOUR FRIKIN PASSWORDS, WRITE THEM DOWN SOMEWHERE SECURE!!! - Maybe iffy advice, but it's better than this dudes situation.

- Good day

~Jon.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Storm, did you try contacting their technical support Here ?

In any event, I checked out the Manuals in PDF format (located in the link I provided above) and with some simple reading, I was able to locate an answer to your question within minutes.

This comes direct from their manual (PDF format)
    Unknown Password:
    You have two choices
    1. Boot to a floppy and format the hard drive.
    2. Call Technical Support.
    And I also noticed this excerpt here (also from their manual)
    Deep Freeze does not protect against booting from a floppy drive and/or CD-ROM.
    It is possible that the boot-up on these PC's is protected from booting from a floppy/CD-ROM , in which case, I'd contact their techincal support.

In any event, there's always this gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach that I'm aiding someone with malicious intentions. I guess I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping you're not some vindictive part-time janitor who just got the pink slip and wants to get even with the company.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AO French Antique News Whore
    Ah Deep Freeze!! I know it can be crack and I have a pretty good idea how! (Been a good 3 years since I play with this program so I'm not really sure). But, I won't said how until you get more AP/Post.

If a Senior Member want to know, you can pm me.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I think I may have an idea. I have been using DF for years now. I have never made this mistake, but here is what I would try.

First take your CD and install it on another computer Don't forget your pass this time! Now go to any computer and press the keys that bring up the "token" screen. Next, take yor token and move back to the computer you just installed in on. Open the admin area, where you type in the token. Type it in. Get that One Time Pass and type it into the computer where you forgot your pass. You then SHOULD be in. I do not see why this would not work.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

well i investigated more for myself and used the boot disk on the one and did HD wipe.. thankfully I didn't do it on the others. So, I'll try the one time pass idea..

oh and as for tech support, that's always my last resort.. i am sick of messing around on the phone for hours waiting for help, and that's always what has happened with other problems.
    so i figured i would try here first.

alright everything is working fine again, and I wrote down the passwords so I won't forget them.. thanks everyone.