Thread: IE Security Prompts

Unhappy IE Security Prompts

Hello all,

I am currently using IE 6, and my custom security settings for the Internet Zone are set high.

I have 'Run ActiveX controls and plugins' disabled, and 'Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting' disabled as well.

I would like to keep these settings disabled, however, since these settings are disabled I keep getting warning prompts (dialog boxes), with the following message 'Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly.'

As you can imagine, this is very annoying. Therefore, I would like to know how to stop this prompt from continuing to pop up every time a page tries to load/run an ActiveX control.

I have Googled this topic, but I haven't found anything. One person suggested that I edit my shdoclc.dll file, however, I couldn't find any reference to this dialog box.

Someone else suggested I use some auto-close software which closes dialog boxes after a few milliseconds, but I don't want to do this.

Any other suggestions or solutions?

Thank you ver much.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    How about trying another browser such as Mozilla? I have to say that there is no clean solution to your issue with IE.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

thehorse, that does not fix the problem at hand. He still would not learn how to secure IE and thus would still have a vunerable system because IE is not properly secured.

Switching to another browser is not a solution, it is merely a temporary bandaid in which is simiilar to "running away" from the problem.

Securing IE:

1. Re enable ActiveX set the security of ActiveX to medium.
    2. Download Spybot Search and Destroy. Update it completely, and then run the Immunize feature. It will patch IE (not directly, but in short) so that malicious ActiveX scripts regonized by other people that use Spybot, are not even allowed to popup. The origonal product comes with 500 types of activex menus it disables, thus allowing a greater amount of security straight out of the box.
    3. There should be a button on the pop up dialog box that says "check here to never see this error again" or "check here to see this error each time". Check or uncheck according to what it says.
    4. Popups (as in ads not dialog boxes) can be a problem, so if you want to stick with IE I recommend three options:

A: Use googlebar. It has adblocking capabilities and fits right into IE nice and slick like.
    B: Use a firewall that has a built in ad blocking software. Kerio firewall and Zonealarm both have this.
    (last resort)C: If you want to keep the IE rendering engine and functions, but want tabbed browsing and popup blocking, look into MyIE2 (http://www.myie2.com). It uses IE while having filtering on ActiveX, optional dialog boxes for your purpose, active popup blocking.

Give those a try and see how things work. If in the end you have exausted your resources of security, only then will it be time to give up and move on.

2. Download Spybot Search and Destroy. Update it completely, and then run the Immunize feature. It will patch IE (not directly, but in short) so that malicious ActiveX scripts regonized by other people that use Spybot, are not even allowed to popup. The origonal product comes with 500 types of activex menus it disables, thus allowing a greater amount of security straight out of the box.
    Yes I agree Spybot S&D is great, but by adding SpywareBlaster to it, you have a much more complete protection suit. SpywareBlaster works with Spybot S&D and prevent a lot if not most malicious malware from even being able to load into your computer. Once loaded and run it comsumes no resourses and like Spybot it is free.
    Also like Spybot, SpywareBlaster needs to be updated occassionally to keep your protections current.
    The latest SpywareBlaster can be found here
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I completely agree, and can't believe I left that out Isn't spyblaster now a direct part of SS&D in the actual menus?

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    I completely agree, and can't believe I left that out Isn't spyblaster now a direct part of SS&D in the actual menus?
    I am not sure, but you can add it from the Spybot S&D console.....I believe.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

<quote>
    (last resort)C: If you want to keep the IE rendering engine and functions, but want tabbed browsing and popup blocking, look into MyIE2 (http://www.myie2.com). It uses IE while having filtering on ActiveX, optional dialog boxes for your purpose, active popup blocking.
    </quote>

AvantBrowser has many of the same features, and can be found here: http://www.avantbrowser.com/

I have this installed to a USB flash drive, for those moments when I cannot install Mozilla or Opera on a system I'm using...and it works just fine