Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gmail

Developer Extraordinar

Gmail

I wasn't sure on where to put this, I figured here would be a good place. Anyways, it's been a topic of discussion on UnE IRC, and I'd just to tell everyone my views and comments on Gmail and the fuss around it, and I'd like to hear back. ;-)

First, from http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne...eut/index.html

"We think it's an absolute invasion of privacy. It's like having a massive billboard in the middle of your home," Sen. Liz Figueroa, a Democrat from Fremont, California, said in a telephone interview.
    Did they take a look at any other sites? There are tonnes and tonnes of sites with huges ads on their site. For example this one. Right now, as I am writing this there is an advertisement for Microsoft Office, telling me I can get the evaluation kit for it. I assume they mean Office 2003. So, it's allowed for some sites, but other sites that set cookies to track you, even when you arn't on their site, and track what you're looking at on other sites, is okay? And it's okay to have huge half page ads that make IE, or any other browser for that matter, run at much more RAM that us needed? But it's not okay, to give someone an email service, in which they agreed to all the Terms of Service, and Privacy Police agreements, to have a simple javascript pick up what the page says, and feed back ads related to this? That's what Google's AdSense does now. I know, because I use it for Unerror.

Another thing, from both the site mentioned above, and http://www.linuxsecurity.com/article...icle-9178.html

In late March, the world's No. 1 Web search company announced plans to launch Gmail -- a service that would offer users 1 gigabyte of free storage, more than 100 times the storage offered by other free services from Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
    Could the whole legal disagreement be brought on by Microsoft, because another major corperation is challenging Hotmail? 1 gigs of space is a pretty sweet deal compared to the measly 2 megs that Microsoft offers with Hotmail isn't it?

But in return for the extra storage, users would agree to let Google's technology scan their incoming e-mail, then deliver targeted ads based on key words in the messages.
    Excatly, they have to agree, they know full and well that Google is doing that, or else they shouldn't agree to the Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy.

European groups recently lodged a complaint with UK authorities, charging that Gmail may violate Europe's privacy laws because it stores messages where users cannot permanently delete them. Europe's privacy protection laws give consumers the right to retain control over their communications.
    This however is one thing I don't fully agree with. I think the users should be able to wipe the emails that are deleted off the system for good. Mind you at giving 1 gig a user away, I think Google will have some type pf purge system to get rid of the old emails.

Personally, I will use Gmail, and I don't have a problem with ads suited to me and the email I'm setting on the AdSense ads that will be displayed above the emails. If you don't want Google to keep messages sent to you, registered another email address somewheres, and use that for personal or business. It's simple.

Peace
    MB

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    But it's not okay, to give someone an email service, in which they agreed to all the Terms of Service, and Privacy Police agreements, to have a simple javascript pick up what the page says, and feed back ads related to this?
    Certainly the privacy policy should lay out explicitly what Google will use and how it will use it (sale of items to 3rd parties, information passed to 3rd parties, etc.) But what I would be concerned about is the potential of a "Google hack" being created that will access said emails. It's ok if I agree to use Google's email and they in turn use my emails to determine ad usage (ad blockers are there for a reason). I do worry however that it does open things up for "unknown 3rd or 4th parties" gaining access to areas they shouldn't. While I don't doubt that Google has probably considered this, for me it's a bit of a risk.

If you agree to use the service (by virtue of signing up an account), then you agree to Google using your information as per their privacy policy. Hence, the expectation of privacy within the emails there shouldn't be expected insofar as Google and their advertisers. I don't think legal challenges will work in regards to this because of a PP.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Developer Extraordinar
    I am assumeing that Gmail would use the Google AdSense program, that many sites use, including this one, and Unerror. All it is, is a simple script that feeds ads from the AdSense database, to the website, based on the text on the site. Though, yes, they should lay out excatly what information they are passing along to 3rd party vendors, although, I'm not sure if they do, since the script is on Google's web server, and the program itself feeds the ads back, not the 3rd parties invloved. Then again, I don't work for Google, so I don't know excatly how it works, I am just going by what I know thus far from using AdSense myself.

Peace
    MB

I would much rather have targeted adds than 'Breast Enlargement' or the junk that loads when hotmail, or yahoo loads.
    I don't believe it to be an invasion of my privacy either. Goverment and corperate tracking is much more invasive, and prevelent also.
    As stated above, my only concern is not being able to delete old emails that I don't want laying around. Hell, I might have a note from my girlfriend I don't want my wife to ever see
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Developer Extraordinar
    Heh, bad Moxnix!

As I said, giving away 1 gig of storage is no feat that people can just do. They must have some type of purge system that they use. If not, then the emails are probably highly encrypted, and locked away in a secure part of the system.

Also, I just recieved this Email from Google's Gmail department, I'm not sure if it's automated or not, but here it is anyways.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Gmail uses completely automated technology to deliver fast and accurate search results, highly relevant ads, and other related information to our users. Your comments will help us to make improvements to our service and policies as Gmail evolves over the next several months.

We hope you'll enjoy Google's approach to email.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team
    Peace
    MB

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I have read of the Gmail, and would use it with the targeted ads, as I find that ads are here to stay. Notwithstanding the ad-aware software packs available nowadays. My own concern was re: the lack of a definite delete button ?
    If it could go some way to making the delivery of SPAM harder / impossible, via the ad sense then I would be all for it.
    For the majority of the spam directed at me was obviously targeted from my ex wife ?
    as it didn't matter how often I told them I was happy ? with the size of me willy, the mails kept on coming ? (no pun [LOL])
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

But in return for the extra storage, users would agree to let Google's technology scan their incoming e-mail, then deliver targeted ads based on key words in the messages.
    I have no problems with adverts as such, and admit that I have had some really good deals as a result

What worries me is that the target ads will be based on "keywords" in e-mails..............so if you are getting spam it will be multiplied 10 fold?

Not a good idea IMHO

Developer Extraordinar
    They'll probably have some type of Antispam system, Hotmail doesn't seem to have one, and if they do it isn't working.

Peace
    MB

What worries me is that the target ads will be based on "keywords" in e-mails..............so if you are getting spam it will be multiplied 10 fold?
    Seems to me the guys at google are pretty smart. I'm betting they know enough not to search for keywords in messages marked as junk (assuming they also have junk mail detection built-in).
    -Oly

Kwiep
    One reason why I'm happy with my hotmail-account is if I leave my computer for a week the 2 mb are full. So when I come back I have only 2 mb of spam to filter for "real" messages. When I have 1 gig of spam I'd need another week to delete it all.
    Double Dutch