Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupted HD

Corrupted HD

My beautiful Toshiba Laptop now has a bad HD.

A new drive is going to cost about $350-$400.

I hope it's covered under warranty...

Yes, it is a bad HD, it's making the click of death. I'm not just over reacting again.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

How big of a drive is it?

If the PC is within is warranty, then it will be covered.

If not, it may still be covered by the hard drive manufacturer. I've seen some that have a 1 year, and some that have 3 years. Also, sometimes, if you buy it on a credit card, they automatically upgrade your warranty for you! Registration required and the like.

I've had to replace a laptop hard drive before... not cheap.
    I think I got a 60 gig drive for $120 at a computer show.

I've seen them on www.pricewatch.com for about the same thing.

Look, here is a toshiba 60gig for $133.
    Sure as hell beats your 350-400... where in the hell did you get that number?!

http://www.micer.com/viewItem.asp?id...ref=pricewatch
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You might try putting it in a plastic bag, then in the deep freeze for an hour, that might let you get data from it..............but be careful of the warranty

Cheers

That figure came from Toshiba.

It was purchased in November of last year so the warranty is good, but I don't want to be sans computer for the 6 weeks it'll take to get fixed.

EDIT: It's not about the data, I have backups of everything, the drive appears to have a bad head or something.

I had to have the DVD/CD-RW combo drive replaced in my laptop. It was under warrenty, labor only. I had to pay $70 for the new drive.
    They thought they would get to keep the old drive.....sorry, I made them give it to me, and will one day fix the bloody thing (I hope anyway).
    Edit: I did get a new Nero and Power DVD disc though, and the keys to go with them.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

You had to pay for the drive even though it was under warranty? Or, it cost you $70 for the labor?

Its a shame that you have to pay for the labor.

I get gateways and dells for work... because while its under warranty.. you pay for nothing. (there is a gateway near me, and I can drop it off, dell, I have to ship back, or get onsite, or fix myself)

However, you don't get to keep the old parts. You have to send them back.

I always do my own repairs. They can take a week or longer to make it out to the site.

I should be the one charging them labor...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'm going to try to convince Toshiba to just ship me the drive and let me replace the damn thing.

It's time to brush up on my social engineering skills.

No I had to pay for the drive, labor (all of about 5 minutes) was free.
    I told them what I thought of their warrenty, but what do you expect from a generic computer store....lol.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I got mine at Best Buy, and have the extra service plan.

I'm going in tomorrow to see if they can do anything.

D0pp139an93r:

Then it *should* be covered. I got my GFs laptop there and got the extra service plan too.

They said that basically the only thing that isn't covered is a cracked screen or if you spill a drink on it or something. Even the battery is covered.