Thread: cmd prompt and ports

cmd prompt and ports

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to close open ports from the command prompt or is the only way of doing it using a firewall and configuring it from there?

Thanks!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You close open ports by stopping/disabling the service. You block open ports using a firewall. Notable difference. Which OS is this that you want to close ports on? This list of Windows command-line commands might help (I'm guessing you're using a variation of Windows).

[edit]

Specifically, you might want to look at the "net" commands.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You are going to need a firewall.
    Why? If you lock the box down well enough, a firewall (while a good thing for extra security layers and just general paranoia) isn't "needed" necessarily.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Yep,start shutting down every service you don't need . I'll assume your using windows the NT line and not the SUE? Handle your resources correctly.....

www.BLKViper.com will guide you on this type of configuration.
    Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations
    Windows 2000 Professional and Server Services Configuration 411
    www.BLKViper.com

Limited accounts one should run on .

Hey thanks for clearing that up for me folks!
    Yep i am using win xp home (sorry, i forgot to say in my initial post)
    All the links where very usfull and enabled me to close all the ports I wanted.

Thanks again.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ahem.... Nokia, I'm sorry to say that unless you can keep that box up forever then what you did will have to be redone every time you restart the box.... Let's talk "false sense of security"

The "net stop" command has no switch that I am aware of that creates a persistent state. Thus the commands you entered are only good till you restart the box.

If you need to permanently stop the service so it doesn't restart every time do the following:-

START - right click MY COMPUTER - Manage - select "services and applications" - select services and then find the services you want to stop. Right click each one and select properties. then on the dropdown select disabled. Select apply - press the stop button and bingo..... The service is forever stopped unless you change it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yep, I made this list over at www.blkviper.com you can do them one at a time, or all in one. The instructions are in part of this thread.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...029#post735029

Nokia, I'm sorry to say that unless you can keep that box up forever then what you did will have to be redone every time you restart the box.... Let's talk "false sense of security"
    What about a simple batch/WSH file that's run during startup and is owned by Administrator/System?

Thats exactly what I done tiger shark, I had a mis-understanding between opening/closing a port and blocking a port but MsMittens cleared it up for me.

I followed !mitationRust 's advice and stopped the services I dont need.

Thanks again for the help, all.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M: Yep, that would function perfectly well...... But it's a reinvention of the wheel when there is an easily accessible app built right in to do the job properly rather then have to start them all and then stop them all each time the box boots.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides