Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Websites Going too Far?

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Movie Websites Going too Far?

So I was looking at Wired News this morning and saw this article: http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,...w=wn_tophead_5

The Godsend Institute appears to be the first bone fide human reproductive cloning institute, according to its website. The website is seductively professional-looking. It features bird's-eye photographs of a sprawling facility, state-of-the-art equipment and smiling families once touched by tragedy, now embracing their cloned-back-to-life children. It sounds too amazing to be true, and, of course, it is. Dr. Richard Wells also happens to be the name of the fertility doctor played by Robert De Niro in Lion's Gate's upcoming sci-fi film, Godsend.
    This got me thinking...

If movies like Godsend have websites like this...

And movies like I-Robot have websites like this...

What are the chances that someone will be browsing the web and be totally confused?

I remember when movies first started making websites. The website was just that; a website about the movie. But, now who can ever tell? What happens when some production company makes a movie about some super private police force, makes a webpage about it, and some paranoid person tries to obtain their services? (OK, an extreme example)

But seriously, these websites are blurring the lines of reality and fantasy...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Humm, blair witch did this very well, and it drove a lot of money to the movie...this will become more and more commen....just teaches people not to beleive every thing they read.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

The I Robot movie is just a bunch of ****ers capitilizing on Asimov. I saw the preview and it appears completely unbased on the I Robot except it has robots, and people.

-Cheers-

You got all that from a preview?

Going against the grain here, yes I see the problem with web sites that are lifelike in construction; I immersed myself in the I-robot site and completely loved it. If I accidentally stumbled across the site I wouldn't be gullible enough to notice that the technology explained doesn't exist in any credible fashion, but there are dozens, no hundreds of thousands who would believe it's possible. They think things in movies are sometimes real. But a disclaimer would have stole away my immersive experience into the make believe world of Asimov.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    What are the chances that someone will be browsing the web and be totally confused?
    If you guys didnt make this thread and i stumbled across the website, i would have believed them, i mean they show us picture of real families, real stories, and everything...i think it's just way too much for a movie website, i don't see anything about the actors or movie clips on the website...

wait...that website isnt about the movie....http://www.othemovie.com/ that website is.....i though it was kinds of weird that there is nothing about actors and stuff..so there really is a Godsend institute....cool

what are you doing misinforming us 11001001 ....

/me shakes head.....

Did you guys fall for blair wich? you may fall for the irobot stuff for a secound but the critical thinking part of your bran would hopefuly take over, you would look for third party varification something that big would make the papers.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

This whole thing reminds me of when people were faking Brittney's death with fake cnn.com websites. (Using the @ Sign to take it to another website)

http://www.cnn.com@1.3.3.3/Iamadumba...ythingonthenet Link not real.

Wow, those sites do look pretty good. I have to take a skeptic view of most websites, since anybody can put up a linux or iis server on the net and create a "professional" looking website.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

hehehe..

This stuff is as old as communication..

When "The War Of The Worlds" first aired on the radio in USA police received a hell of a lot of telephones from people being scared to death and wanting to know how they could protect themselves fro these alien creeps..

I think it's funny, this kind of misdirection..
    It's a nice way to remind people not to believe evrything they read online..

Yeah, I am absolutly possitive it's true... I read it on the internet !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by MemorY
    wait...that website isnt about the movie....http://www.othemovie.com/ that website is.....i though it was kinds of weird that there is nothing about actors and stuff..so there really is a Godsend institute....cool

what are you doing misinforming us 11001001 ....

/me shakes head.....
    OK, I'm not sure if you were serious or not here...

If you were, check this out.

If not, well, check it out anyway.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

You mean to tell me those are movie websites??? Shouldn't they state that somewhere?
    /me is confused