Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open the ports!!!!

Talking open the ports!!!!

I just downloaded the software called "trillian" .It won't let me connect in to irc,yahoo messenger,msn.How would i know if I have open port and what is my open port ? Is there a command in DOS prompt to know the open ports available?

FYI: I'm using T1 connection and my pc is connected to a LAN.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    FYI: I'm using T1 connection and my pc is connected to a LAN.
    You might want to talk to the administrator of the LAN to find out if the ports those applications use are being blocked/prevented from going outbound. Sounds like a firewall in place.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

yes there is a firewall. how come that some of the comptuers have open ports fosr chat?

Originally posted here by Amplifiedgirl
    yes there is a firewall. how come that some of the comptuers have open ports fosr chat?
    A lot of firewalls can be confirgured to allow access to a certain group of IP addresses or MAC addresses. So group a could have access to the web and email while group B has access to chat FTP web and email.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

For IRC Chat? or others? Sometimes it is possible to "piggyback" certain protocols through different ports (e.g., ICQ over port 80). Check the settings to use "proxy".
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Trillian is really kewl allowing you to use bunch of instant messaging stuff, being unable to connect to one of them may be caused by running a firewall set up by a LAN administrator(they are sometimes a bit reluctant to allow these Instant Mess proggies) which does not allow an outgoing connection on certain ports(like 6667-IRC or 3001 and 3004 in the case of Trillian ICQ), or maybe your ISP PROXY may refuse connection but that would be highly unlike.

MsMittens, what is the term that you called "piggyback"???

Uh... piggybacking means to carry on top of. For example, ICQ is traditionally a UDP protocol but I can "piggyback" it through port 80 (usually used for HTTP). It's just the way I describe it (for lack of a better description)

when i was with my other company that i've worked for i installed IRC, it took me 15 mins to connect because it was looking for open ports in order to connect. But now, it wont connect at all. Is it possible that all ports are being blocked?

To find out your open ports and out@in-coming connection Windows OS has an app called NETSTAT. Helps ya to show current connections:

Type into command line-->netstat -a (shows all connections and listening ports)

for more info type: netstat /help